Pilot

Tree Hill, North Carolina. It's the typical southern small town where everybody knows everyone and every Friday night, everyone gathered in the cramped, smelly, gym to watch sweaty teenage boys throw a ball through a hoop. Well, at least, most people did. I happened to be working at my dad's auto body shop studying for my biology test on Monday.

"Billie, have you seen my 1/2 inch socket wrench?" My dad asked pulling my attention away from my thick biology textbook.

"I thought I saw it in the office earlier." I said gesturing to the old worn down door.

"Right." He said remembering that he had it in there earlier today. He returned with the tool he was looking for and stared at me for a minute.

"What?" I asked annoyed.

"Shouldn't you be out hanging with your friends and not studying with your dad in a smelly auto shop?" He teased me.

"So you're telling me not to study?" I challenged.

"No, you know that's not what I meant. I just thought you'd be hanging out with your friends tonight." He said as he walked back to the car he was working on.

"I happen to like it here. Plus, my only friends are either playing basketball in the school gym or the river court. I happen to despise basketball and would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon than watch it." I joked continuing to study for my history test on Monday.

"Oh, you used to love it. Remember, you were even a cheerleader for Lucas when you were little." He said bringing up memories that I'd rather forget.

"Yeah, don't remind me. I sucked. And I punched an opposing team's player in the face for making fun of Lucas and got kicked off the team." I said tapping my pencil against my book.

"How old were you again?" Dad asked.

"Five." I shrugged and dad chuckled.

"That little brat deserved it." Dad replied and went back to his project.

"Dad, do you think I could go over to Jake's tonight? After the game?" I asked hoping that he would say yes.

"It's awfully late to be going over to a boy's house." Dad said raising his eyebrows.

"Dad, it's Jake. He's my best friend. It's not like that." I said rolling my eyes.

"Of course not, sweetie. I expect you to be home by two and to call me when you get there." He said holding out the keys to his truck. My eyes lit up.

"You're letting me take the truck?" I asked excitedly.

"If you don't want to, then." Dad started, but I interrupted.

"Thank you!" I said kissing his cheek.

"Two o'clock, remember." He called out and I nodded.

"Two o'clock." I reiterated as I walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I drove over to Jake's house after the game ended. I pulled into his driveway just as he got home.

"Hey, stranger." I said as I got out of my truck.

"Hey, your dad let you drive the truck." He said surprised.

"Yeah, so how was the game?" I asked not really caring about the answer.

"We won, of course." He said brushing dirt off his shoulder. I rolled my eyes.

"Wasn't there a big party for you to go to?" I asked pushing his shoulder lightly.

"Yeah, that's not really my scene." He said and I knew what he meant.