Chapter 38 - "Spilling the bean..."

Deshmukh Niwas: Living room: 8:00 am:

Lata: (Almost whispered) "Asha even tried to talk to that Gattu Singh but he didn't talk to her."

She made a face. Although Lata's tone was low Aliya heard her every word. Her ears turned red in embarrassment.

Aliya: (In a satisfied tone) "He did exactly the right thing. Lata Tai, I know your Asha. She was seeking a chance to get into Manik's house as a house-help but in reality, she is a thief. She wanted to work there as she knows that it will be easy to steal things from a bachelor's house. And when she didn't get that chance now she is jealous of that cook Gattu Singh and spreading these gossips."

Vishwanath: (Being irritated) "Which gossip? I couldn't hear anything. Lata, what are you talking about?"

Lata flipped to face, Mr Deshmukh but before she could say anything Cabir muted her.

Cabir: (Annoyed) "Lata Tai, don't you have any other work to do or supplying worthless news to Nani has become your permanent job?

Lata was taken aback to receive back to backlashes but it seemed Sulbha had some other thought.

Sulbha: (With wide eyes) "Manik is missing his book? Lata, your...this Asha...I don't trust her a little bit. When you appointed her last month as your substitute, she stole my knitting sticks. And when I asked her she completely denied it. Do you know what she said? She said, like my ears my eyesight is also getting weak. The thing which I was assuming as my knitting sticks were actually two drumsticks (a vegetable). Can you believe it? How can I see the drumsticks as my knitting sticks?"

Aliya and Cabir hardly controlled their laughter which was whisking in their stomach.

Cabir: (In a very low voice) "Just the way you heard kiss as miss and cook as book."

Sulbha: (Adamantly) "She must be the person who has stolen Manik's book."

Lata was confusedly roaming her eyes on Sulbha and other people and eventually understood where is the problem. She immediately neared Sulbha and raised her pitch,

Lata: "Aai...it's not miss...it's ki.."

But this time someone else interrupted her. Aloka entered holding a cloth bag and a list in her both hands.

Aloka: (In an authoritative tone) "Lata, you have killed enough time doing these unnecessary talks. Now, go to the grocery shop and get me these things. And don't forget to get the bill from the shopkeeper. I have to write down the monthly expenditure. Now, go..quick."

She handed over the bag, money and the list to Lata. With an unwilling expression, Lata left the room. Cabir and Aliya sighed with relief and got up to leave. Just then Aloka halted them.

Aloka: "Cabir, I heard what Lata said. You and Aliya go there and try to know the actual story. It's not good that people are gossiping about our tenant."

Aliya and Cabir looked at each other and bobbed.

Vishwanath: "But why are you believing Lata? You know how she is. Always after spicy gossip."

Aloka: (Sternly) "Yes I know her and I don't believe her but I don't believe Man's nature either. They can do anything."

Saying this she left the room with a smug while Vishwanath wobbled his head in disbelief. Even women's nature is beyond his understanding.

................................................

Manan Flat: Bedroom: 8:30 am:

Nandini opened her eyes with lots of effort. She blinked numerous times and finally unfurled them to meet the morning rays coming from the slits of the closed curtains. Not even a second later a sharp pang was felt in the back of her head.