04. Roadkill

Chapter Four : Roadkill

•°• ✾ •°•

     She never wanted to say she was glad someone was dead but it was something she had to do. In a twisted way, she was relieved that things worked out the way they needed to. That didn't stop the thoughts from creeping up on her while she was alone in her cell. She couldn't sleep that night while Rumlow and a bunch of other HYDRA members were hunting down two more targets related to Nick Fury. Barnes didn't go out on that one either and was kept inside just like Valencia but he was kept somewhere else. They didn't force them into a sparring match like they did before but she still didn't know what they were doing with him.

     Valencia was sitting on the mattress with her legs crossed as she thought about everything that happened on all of her previous missions. She failed that one time after Barnes caused the SUV to flip over while she was on top of it but she was able to stall long enough by reminding Pierce of what he said before sending her out. She did give him a confirmed death by the end of the day just as she was ordered. But even though she was following orders, she still felt guilty right after shooting Fury and killing him and whoever was with him at the time was not going to let her get away with it. She felt guilty after every mission where she had to kill somebody.

     She recalled the blonde man with the shield and how fast he was when he chased them on the rooftops. He was strong too, the way he was able to throw a metal shield hard enough to cut through somebody if Barnes wasn't quick enough to catch it with his cybernetic arm. He didn't even fall when he threw it right back at him, he only budged just a little since Barnes threw it pretty hard. The blonde man was fast and strong like Barnes was and she wondered if he was anything like him.

     As for her, she didn't have the strength or the speed. She had her reflexes and if it wasn't for the abilities given to her by the serum they injected her with, the reflexes would've been all she had. But now she also had two mutant powers that she was being told to avoid using when sent out on a mission unless it was for defense reasons. Two mutant abilities, fast reflexes and skills in weaponry, and after so many missions, she still hated it. She wished that she wasn't able to feel the guilt and shame of it all but at the same time, she didn't want to be heartless. At this point, she had too much to lose and she wasn't going to survive if she continued to be so righteous. She had to forget about everything she knew before and do what needed to be done.

     The door to her cell was opened but she didn't even turn her head to see who it was. It didn't really matter anyway since they all believed in the same cause.

     "Get up. Pierce has another mission for you," he said and Valencia didn't say a word as she stood up and followed the man out of her cell.

     She was given her utility belt where she held her gun and knives and made sure it was on properly. It turned out that the two new targets escaped the rubble after the building they were in was blown up. Valencia wondered how they escaped HYDRA twice in the same day. The first time was when Rumlow and many others located them at a mall but didn't find them there. Then they found them in an old abandoned building and decided to blow it up and were sure that they wouldn't survive. But no one found any bodies and all they did find was footprints in the dust.