Chapter 16: The Confrontation

THE CONFRONTATION

Dream opened the door, and a look of surprise flew onto his tired features. "Hi," he said slowly.

"I'm here for Baby and Clay Block," said George shortly. He stared fixedly at Dream's shoulder, purposefully avoiding his eyes.

"Right." An awkward silence fell between them for a moment. "Well, come inside and I'll get them for you."

George's elbow brushed Dream's as he stepped through the doorway, and a tinge of electricity shot through his spine. He stood by the quartz countertop, hands shoved in his pockets, as Dream walked away to get them.

His eyes gazed around the familiar apartment, memories circling wildly in his head. There, on the countertop, was the roses Dream got him... there was the table where they filmed the video announcing they were together... he could almost feel the ghost of Dream's comforting, warm hand holding his under the table, reassuring him that it would be okay. A lump rose in his throat and he blinked fast as Dream came back into the room holding the cage with Clay Block and, in the other hand, Baby.

He knelt down to place them in front of George, then stood up and faced him. "George, I -."

"No," said George forcefully. He picked up the cage.

"George, please, just listen to me. Please." There was a desperate, frantic tone to Dream's voice.

"No, Clay."

Dream flinched visibly at the name. "George, please, I'm literally begging you. Please. Five minutes, that's all I ask."

George noticed with a jolt of guilt how red Dream's eyes were. He tried to squash out the concern trickling in and sighed. "Five minutes."

Dream almost fell over with relief. He took a deep breath. "George, I don't pretend to know why Amanda said I cheated on you, but I swear, George, I swear on everything I didn't." George stayed silent, gaze cast down at the tiled floor. "If you're not going to believe me, I - I don't know what I'd do, but also, I don't know if you noticed-". His voice took a sharper quality suddenly as he continued. "But all our friends and fanbase know what's going on."

George looked up sharply at that. "What?"

"So I wanted to know if you had anything to do with it, because I've been getting death threats, and my own mother doesn't know if she should believe me." Dream's eyebrows knit tightly together and he stared determinedly past George at the kitchen cabinets.

"No, I had nothing to do with that," George breathed. He looked away from Dream as more, stronger feelings of concern crept into his head. Dream had definitely been struggling. He cheated on you, he sternly reminded himself.

Dream looked back at him, dulled eyes suddenly blazing with anger. "Well, I've been trying to convince people I didn't do it, but it's no use. All my friends have turned against me and thousands of people are telling me to go die all because of some fucking lie," he snapped, "so if you know who the fuck did it, that would be nice if you could tell me."

"I have no idea," said George quietly. He determinedly tried to squash the growing concern he felt for the bronze haired boy, but to no avail. "I - I can tell the fans to stop, but I don't know if it would do much good."

Dream's lips curved into a humorless smile. "You can try."

George nodded, and turned to leave before he made any stupid decisions, like taking Dream back.

But before he could go, Dream caught his arm in a gentle but firm grip, and George resignedly turned back around to see unshed tears sparkling in his sea green eyes.