mine,

Annabeth wanted to hate New Rome. But as an aspiring architect, she couldn't help admiring the terraced gardens, the fountains and temples, the winding cobblestone streets and gleaming white villas. After the Titan War last summer, she'd gotten her dream job of redesigning the palaces of Mount Olympus. Now, walking through this miniature city, she kept thinking, I should have made a dome like that. I love the way those columns lead into that courtyard. Whoever designed New Rome had clearly poured a lot of time and love into the project.

"We have the best architects and builders in the world," Reyna said, as if reading her thoughts. "Rome always did, in the ancient times. Many demigods stay on to live here after their time in the legion. They go to our university. They settle down to raise families. Percy seemed interested in this fact."

Annabeth wondered what that meant. She must have scowled more fiercely than she realized, because Reyna laughed.

"You're a warrior, all right," the praetor said. "You've got fire in your eyes."

"Sorry." Annabeth tried to tone down the glare.

"Don't be. I'm the daughter of Bellona."

"Roman goddess of war?"

Reyna nodded. She turned and whistled like she was hailing a cab. A moment later, two metal dogs raced toward them — automaton greyhounds, one silver and one gold. They brushed against Reyna's legs and regarded Annabeth with glistening ruby eyes.

"My pets," Reyna explained. "Aurum and Argentum. You don't mind if they walk with us?"

Again, Annabeth got the feeling it wasn't really a request. She noted that the greyhounds had teeth like steel arrowheads. Maybe weapons weren't allowed inside the city, but Reyna's pets could still tear her to pieces if they chose.

Reyna led her to an outdoor cafe, where the waiter clearly knew her. He smiled and handed her a to-go cup, then offered one to Annabeth. They saw Daria Jackson chatting with a boy, the conversation seemed to be dying down so Reyna waved her over.

"Hey," Daria greeted. She turned to her friend, "Michael, I'll see you later. And thanks again."

The boy, Michael, snorted, "I think I should be thanking you."

Daria grimaced, turning to the two girls who had hot chocolates in their hands. "Do you mind if I join you?"

She looked at Annabeth but the blonde figured that she would follow whatever Reyna said. She shook her head anyway. "Not at all."

"Hot chocolate?" Reyna offered Daria her own cup, which she took from her. Annabeth noted with surprise that it didn't seem like she was going to give it back, Reyna noticed and smiled dryly at Annabeth's expression. "Chocolate's not my drink of choice." Daria frowned at the statement but Reyna didn't glance back.

The three of them walked on, Reyna's gold and silver dogs roaming nearby. "In our camp," Reyna said, "Athena is Minerva. Are you familiar with how her Roman form is different?"

Annabeth hadn't really considered it before. She remembered the way Terminus had called Athena that goddess, as if she were scandalous. Octavian had acted like Annabeth's very existence was an insult.

"I take it Minerva isn't. . .uh, quite as respected here?"

Daria blew steam from her cup. "We respect Minerva. She's the goddess of crafts and wisdom... but she isn't really a goddess of war. Not for Romans. She's also a maiden goddess, like Diana... the one you call Artemis. You won't find any children of Minerva here. The idea that Minerva would have children — frankly, it's a little shocking to us."