Chapter 13: The Journey Continues

After an uneventful night in the mountains, where members of the hiking group took turns watching over the tents as precautionary measure, Joanne's hiking group could not be more relieved to see the resort's familiar cabins lining the snow hills below after another day of walking.

While getting through the last parts of the blue forest before the ski lift, the man in green confirmed with the twins that a shard of the gem had, indeed, been hiding in the mountain temple.

"Lady Larya had come across it several months ago, keeping it in her personal chamber as a lovely little paperweight. She was more than glad to return it to me once I explained my situation, fortunately."

With the shard and the incomplete jewel in separate hands, the small crystal fused with the rest of the gem much like a piece of clay would as the two objects were drawn closer. The gem shone brighter than before upon recovering another part of itself; its dull, cloudy sheen disappearing somewhat.

Tomas was entranced by the gem's hypnotizing sheen. After putting some effort to look away from it, he said, "So, you'll be leaving again? Where to?"

Eila muttered, "We barely got to hang out with you..."

The man in green looked behind him, seeing the Diderot couple watching them from afar. Mr. Diderot slightly raised his arm and waved at him with a small smirk, while Mrs. Diderot gave him a side-glance.

Looking back at the twins who walked beside him, "Sadly, our meetings must always be cut short. I have much left to do before my nightmare is over...I cannot rest as long as the cloaked ones roam in the shadows. For the time being, I believe visiting my informant for a report is in order. With that said, be very careful during the nights, children. You are possible targets, after all."

Eila shuddered, "Ugh, don't even remind me!"

"The resort is bright enough as is at night, sis. We should be just fine, right?"

She nodded enthusiastically, though Tomas doubted his own words.

Another half-hour later, when the afternoon sun was mildly covered up by light clouds, Eila and Tomas ran down the cottage hill alongside a few other children on the group. Zippy swiftly passed all of them, refusing to back down from a speed challenge.

Once Joanne led them to the lobby entrance, she mustered a big grin and said, "A'ight folks! I knows this trip wasn't what any o' us expected, but I do hope y'all got some enjoyment out of it!"

She paused, her smile shrinking as she acknowledged the fearful looks in the eyes of some of her guests. Crossing her arms, she gravely said, "I can't tell y'all how truly, absolutely sorry I am for...everything. Trip wasn't supposed to turn out like it did, honest!"

"Oh please, we couldn't wish for a better guide to help out during that mess", said an older group member.

Joanne moved her head to the side and smiled, when Zippy ran up to her and jumped to her shoulder, emitting a high-pitched grunt.

Zippy's owner sheepishly scratched his head, "No need to beat yourself for that, Joanne."

"Oh, you lil' rascal. If ya didn't have a master already, I'd take ya home with me in a flash. Would be nice havin' a pet to keep up with me."

Zippy promptly flew off her shoulder. Joanne placed her arms on her hips, and proudly said, "Aaah what am I sayin'... Sappy speeches ain't my thing." Well folks, hope y'all enjoyed the good times we had on our hike, and thanks for stickin' together during the tough times toward the end there. As always, enjoy the rest of yer stay, whether it be hikin', skiin', swimming, or even sleepin' in yer cabins. I think y'all deserve it after our time up in Mt. Reilu. Be seeing ya around!"