Chapter 24

Author's Note: I really appreciate if you are reading this story. I would love to hear what you think so far, please leave comments and let me know. Thanks!

Chapter 24

November 9, 1961

I  couldn't believe that  Mr. Epstein had decided to drag me along to the  Cavern to see the  Beatles. When the record came in for the boy that  ordered it, me and  Mr. Epstein listened to it. He loved it and wanted to  see what all the  fuss about the Beatles was. So, here I stand, my palms  sweaty and a  million things running through my mind. It had been two  years since I  had set foot in the Cavern, the last time being with John  of course.  That was back when he fit in my poems like a perfect rhyme,  back when I  thought I wanted to marry and spend the rest of my life with  him, and  back when he was the John that I loved. It was before we even  knew of  Hamburg and the way it would ruin him and our beautiful romance.  I knew  I would see him tonight. After all, Mr. Epstein wanted me to  introduce  them if he liked their style. I knew that Mr. Epstein was big  in the  Liverpool music scene, but I didn't know that he was a manager  looking  for new talent.

"Sasha," he said, walking up to me on Matthew Street, "I'm glad you could make it."

I smiled at him, "I talked to Paul, my brother, this morning. They're eager to meet you."

I had apologized to Paul for the way I had acted earlier in the year a couple of months ago, and we had become close again. I was glad since now I had someone to talk to you on account of Stuart being in Germany.

"Good. I hope they're as good as everyone says."

I  followed Mr. Epstein  into the entrance of the Cavern. The bouncers recognized him and we didn't have to queue. The cobblestone  street being traded  for slick cement as we made our way to the stairs.  Down we climbed to  get to the underground club. The lights and noise  were blinding.  Couples and singles were dancing in front of the stage  with drinks in  hand to another band. Mr. Epstein chose a table in the  back so we had a  pretty good view of the stage.

It seemed like  ages  before the disc jockey finally announced the Beatles to the stage, and he also announced Mr. Epstein's presence at the club.  The  now four piece band took their places on the tiny stage. Pete was in   the back at the drum kit. I noticed that he didn't have the same   hairstyle as the other boys, the one that Stu had gotten first. George   was to the far left of the stage, Paul in the middle, with a bass guitar   now, and finally, John was on the far right. He took my breath away. I   had to admit that he looked quite handsome with the new hairstyle. I   hadn't been this close to him, face-to-face, since Hamburg, and I wasn't   quite sure how to feel about it. All I knew was that I missed him.

They  began to play  their set, the crowd rocking to their sound. They had  gotten better  since I last heard them. It seemed like they finally had  their style. I  couldn't keep my eyes off of John. I missed him. I wished  that I was  here as his fiancé or even wife cheering him on. After the  show, I  wished I could greet him with a kiss like I used to, and then we  could  head back to a bedroom at our house, and he could make sweet love  to  me.

I shook my head to get  that thought out of mind. I  couldn't do this. I couldn't think about  what could be. It was over. We  were over. If he wanted me back, he  would've come and apologized by now.  Nothing would ever be the same  between us.

I suddenly felt hot and crowded, "Mr. Epstein, would you like something to drink?"

He looked at me and shouted over the music, "I'll have scotch and coke."

I  walked away, not  letting my eyes leave John on stage. I didn't know  what I would do if  he returned the stare. I ordered the same thing as  Mr. Epstein to give  it a try.