14.

I screamed again as another kick was sent to my ribs.

"Where is he?" The man screamed.

"I have no idea what you are talking about! " I wheezed. This had been going on since I woke up, about an hour ago. He would hit or kick me if I didn't tell him what he wanted to here.

"The beast! I know you know. Where is he?"

So this was about Austin? Well he wasn't getting anything out of me.

"Beast? What are you talking about?" I asked as if he was delusional.

I screamed as he pulled me by my hair, launching me across the room.

"Don't play dumb. It doesn't suit you. Look over this, and when I return think wisely how you decided to answer." He threw a piece of paper at me, then slammed the door, locking it.

I tried to breathe through the pain crawling over to the paper. I unfolded it, and slowly read over the words.

"Natalie,

I bet you are wondering why I have returned you home. I was wrong about you. You aren't weak. You are mentally stronger than I am. Even after how horrible I have been to you, you can still smile and laugh. You treated me nicely, while I just pushed you down until you broke. I am sorry. I can't be nice. I can't be happy. It's just who I am. How I was made. I am a beast. A monster. You know that. You've seen it for yourself.

Even after you broke down, you came out of the room smiling, and laughing again. I don't know how you do it. It pisses me off that you can be so happy. I just can't understand the concept. I fucking hate it when you laugh, it hurts my ears. See, I'm being insulting again.

I realized when you were sleeping what I had to do. This is the only thing I can give you. I can give you your freedom back. I hope it is enough. I won't lie, I will miss the company. At least I know I'm not selfish enough to keep you with me just for that reason. At least that's one thing good about me huh?

I will always hate you. I will always hate humans period. But that doesn't mean I have to be absolutely horrible to you. Like I said, I'm not a good being.

You are a very extraordinary. You are the first person to not scream when she saw me. You are also the first one to ever make it out alive while knowing my identity.

Even though I don't deserve to ask anything of you, I have to. Please don't say a word about me. People have never made it out alive after an encounter, but people do know of me. I am hunted. Bad things would happen if someone caught wind of you.

This is goodbye. Enjoy.

I smiled to myself. He wasn't as bad he thought he was. I looked down at the bottom of the page, and saw his hand writing in a different color pen. Instead of black, it was blue.

If you found this, then I am highly surprised. I'm in your house now, about to leave. I just wanted you to know that even though I hate you. My beast doesn't. He has gown very fond. Again, I am sorry. Stay happy. Don't look for me, you won't find me. I left you for a reason.

I just read this over, and realized I didn't curse once. Can't have that. You might think I'm going soft. Fuck it. There.

-AL

I laughed as I read the last part. So he could joke?

I read it over and over. He says he can't be nice, but he did the nicest thing he could of. He let me go knowing that there was a chance I could tell someone his identity. He gave me his trust.

I flinched as the door opened.

"Ready to talk?"

"There is nothing to say." I snapped knowing I would pay for it.

"Fine by me." He stated nonchalantly, throwing his fist into the side of my face.

I screamed. Everything was spinning.

"You will tell me." The voice seemed distant.

"I won't." I whispered. "Might as well kill me!" I didn't move as the room started to come back to normal. I then spit the blood from my mouth, satisfied when it landed on his boot.

He growled to himself, and the last thing I saw was a boot coming towards my face.