63

calum hood

"This is your captain speaking. We will be landing in Detroit shortly."

The entire week that Luna spent with me flew by quicker than I imagined it would. The week before she arrived I was preparing like crazy for everything to go as effortlessly and perfectly for her. I bought new sheets and a bedspread for the guest room I never finished, stocked the pantry and fridge with her favorite foods  because of her adorably picky eating habits, and cleaned everything over and over to make sure it was spotless.

The boys ragged on me for being so wound up, but the feeling that exploded in my body every time I thought of her drove me to want to be the best that I could be. When I waited for her at the airport, my heart beat out of my chest and nothing could distract me from the thought of seeing her in person again. We were only apart for about a couple weeks, but it felt like years to me.

It just felt so right to me when we first hugged. Like she fit perfectly into my arms, as cheesy as that sounds.

Then, when she first met the boys, it was like she already belonged. Everything just worked so well together and never heard the end of it from Michael that we had to plan another get together with her. She was the easiest person to be around. She was mature when she needed to be, but could still goof around with me.

Seeing her in my sweatshirt made me think about what could be, what else of mine she could wear when she's cold, when we have a lazy day in bed, when she picks up a random shirt of mine to where down to breakfast that I made. But I couldn't think like that. The last thing she needs is to be rushed into something that brought so much hurt the last time. I know that she would never fully heal on the inside, but I hoped that one day she trust me enough to let me in.

And I was reminded of that barrier of trust when I saw the scars across her body. I would never, never, touch her like that and if I saw anyone do that to her again, they wouldn't make it to the next day. I couldn't begin to imagine what had happened to her, the rest of the story still sitting up in her head, festering with her self consciousness and doubt.

At the beach while we built the sand castle, the most overwhelming feeling to just grab her face and kiss her crossed my mind more than once, but I shouldn't. I couldn't.

I valued what we already had too much for it to be gone in just a moment.

My heart yearned for her at night even though she was just yards away from me. What would I do when I left? I didn't want to leave.

"And, make a right on this next street, and an immediate left after that."

Luna sat next to me, giving me directions to her apartment. I slowly became uneasy because the longer I drove, the worse the neighborhoods got.

"Okay, this next turn is the street," she stated, proud of her flawless direction giving.

I pulled up to an apartment building and was struck with surprise.

The windows that were street level were boarded up and the main door was adorned with metal bars and a metal door that pulled down for extra protection. On a post to the right of the entrance sat a green dome light that looked different than the street lights on the rest of the stretch of road. But as I looked at the gas station and park on the opposite side and the liquor store next to it, I saw matching ones.

"What's that for?" I asked, pointing at the strange lights. It wasn't dark yet, so they weren't on, but they had to serve some purpose.