♨️Unusual Energies🦎

Moments later, the whirring of electricity suddenly stopped. I thought nothing of it at first, neither did Iduna, nor Ryder. However, Bruni sensed that something wasn't working right - in the kitchen.

The salamander and I wandered over to the fuse box. Strangely, the switches were still up, yet the wall sockets and mains were not working. Battery - powered devices worked, of course- I figured that the 'walls' were cool LED screens powered by battery.

There must have been a power cut.

The weather was fine, though. Nothing from outside would have caused the power to stop.

Thankfully that warm, steady glow of the Enchanted Forest backdrop continued to illuminate the house. Downstairs, anyway.

Bruni found another note on top of the box. I decided to call Iduna and Ryder over to read what it had to say together:

"NOTE: The four of you in this house create an unusually high frequency vibration that may be incompatible with the household standard power. This may cause a power outage. Tomorrow morning, the problem shall be fixed.

P.S. All water taps are working. Central heating, the oven and refrigerator are out (there's no food, but lots of ice cubes). You could order something though. Pizza, perhaps? Follow the info on the phone case to order one with 3 large soft drinks. No wedges, but there are some potatoes in the garden. Enjoy."

The end of the post-script made us feel hungry!

Bruni wouldn't be able to eat the same food though. I made a deal with the little salamander.

"If you can help us cook the potatoes, Bruni, you can have all the ice cubes in the freezer to yourself!"

Bruni squeaked in delight at the idea of  a whole two trays of ice cubes to himself.

Me, Iduna and Ryder smiled at the ecstatic little amphibian. I guessed the deal was made.

It was a bit dark outside to look for the potatoes, so I suggested that we could get a torch and save Bruni's energy. Bruni stayed indoors as I took out the ice cube trays for him to polish off.

"So, we possess this energy that cannot work alongside the electrical things? I knew it, we are wealthy in spirit!" Iduna commented happily.

I hummed in agreement, remembering the conversation with Iduna outside the house. I then looked around and checked a few drawers to find a torch, though I couldn't find one. Ryder started fiddling with a mobile phone. It was the one mentioned on the note, with delivery details on the case.

"Is this thing the phone?" I nodded in response.
"It's way cooler than I thought."

[The first telephone was invented in the late 1840s, a few years after Frozen II is set, and was patented in 1876. However, the first smartphones didn't appear until the 1990s.]

"We've caused the power to go out... so how are we gonna go upstairs?" Ryder asked, a little frightened. I suspected that he was a bit afraid of the dark.

"Yes, that's probably true. But don't worry, we can stay downstairs 'till the morning. We've got a super sofa and great space in the living room! Dinner shall be sorted too."

"Wonderful! I bet potatoes and that food  order will be great for dinner. I wonder what the time is?"

Ryder possibly misheard Iduna and hilariously asked, "Yeah, what's 'pizza'?"

I couldn't help but chuckle at the mispronounciation.

"Sorry, Ryder! It's pronounced 'peet-za'.
Pizza's an Italian food, it's a flat dough- like lefse in Norway - but has tomato purée and cheese on top, plus other toppings like peppers, mushrooms, meat, olives..."

"Ah, thanks for correcting me. Mmm..pizza sounds amazing!" he replied with good spirit.

"Oh, Iduna, about the time - it'll take a bit of explaining, but I'll tell you now.

I think that the time you've travelled from passes by like the time I've come from. But here, the time feels the same as that, when in fact, 3 days here is just 3 hours in our time.

"That's fantastic, it's like we've travelled to a new universe! If only I'd reached Ahtohallan this easily."

"I know. I'm sure you've still got more chances to get to Ahtohallan, I believe in you."

I was worried that I might have upset Iduna, or confused her by already knowing about the river, but luckily she seemed reassured by my words, and gently reached out to hold my hands in hers.

"Thank you," Iduna whispered wholeheartedly.

"You're welcome" I whispered back with a smile.

It's not everyday that one of your favourite characters thanks you, never mind stays at home with you!

"There don't seem to be any clocks to show the current time," I continued,
"but the mobile phone should give us the time. Oh yeah, and a torch!"

"Woah! So how do you use this phenomenal phone?" Ryder asked eagerly.

"Here, I'll show you both how different things work on here."

Somehow I'd even convinced Ryder to speak for the call to the pizza delivery service. Yum, pizza was on the way!

I found the time, also making an interesting discovery that this place we've time-travelled to has no months, and a day's length was different too.

When I showed them the camera, I called Bruni over so that we could all take a selfie together!

After we had fun playing around with the phone features we went into the garden with its torch to look for potatoes.

Bruni sniffed around for them, Ryder shovelled the soil up and Iduna collected the potatoes. I was just holding the phone with the torch outside, but I did help with preparing the potatoes in the kitchen.

We made potato wedges and seasoned them well! Bruni cooked them to a golden shade.

Just then, the pizza delivery arrived and we tucked into dinner, whilst Bruni nibbled on extra ice cubes!

Once we cleared things away, we found a space on the soft sofa, the LED walls dimmed down, and we drifted off to sleep.

It had only been an evening, but it felt like a whole fun-filled day.

I couldn't wait to show them the Frozen films the next day! 😃