The Gift

"23... ah well, better luck next time." Alastor says with a sigh, lowering his cards to the table.

"I'll stay." Husker says, holding his three cards close to his chest.

You glance down at your two cards, a Queen of Hearts and 7 of Clubs. You ponder your next move.

"Hit me." you say to the dealer.

"Oh I could do that and much more, sweetheart..." Angel flirts with a sultry smile, before passing you another card.

"Just... stop." you say, attempting to not break your poker face as you take your new card.

It's a 3 of Diamonds, honestly a lot better than what you were expecting.

"I'll stay" you say, holding all three cards close to your chest.

Angel exchanges glances with you and Husker, before flipping his cards over. "Alright, boys, let's see what you got."

He has an Ace of Spades and King of Diamonds, a perfect 21.

You and Husk place your cards on the table at the same time. You hear him shout "damn it!"

"Looks like Kitty Cat's upset he didn't win..." Angel says with a giggle. "Maybe I could slip you another card if you, you know... go on a date with me-"

"No. For the thousandth time, I'm not doing that shit." he replies. "Besides, the game's over anyway."

"Aww, you're so mean." Angel replies, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye. You all pass your cards back to him and he shuffles them back into the deck.

"Up for one more round?" Angel asks.

"Sure, my effeminate friend." Alastor says.

"You know, I'm kinda surprised you didn't want to be the dealer, Husk." you say. "I figured you would be pretty much perfect for it."

He looks back at you briefly, before reaching for the green bottle of cheap booze across from him.

He takes a swig before saying "Hell no. I'm the dealer pretty much every single time I play Blackjack with the hotel guests. I needed a break."

"I'm surprised you still wanted to play the game at all, then." you say as Angel begins passing everyone their two cards.

"Hey, I love Blackjack. I just don't love being the dealer every single fucking time."

"Fair enough I guess." you concede with a shrug. You pick up your two cards and begin pondering your next course of action.

You hear Alastor say "Hit me, Angel."

Angel Dust giggles before saying "Let's save that kind of talk for the bedroom, Al!"

"Just give him the fucking card, Angel." Husk says with a groan.

"Fine..." he mumbles, before passing a card to Alastor.

You see Alastor take the card, and promptly put it behind the other two. He doesn't hold his cards in the shape of a fan like everyone else, but rather as a small stack.

Also, that creepy smile of his gives him pretty much the perfect poker face. There's no way to tell how he feels about his hand. "I'll stay."

Angel shifts his gaze to Husker. "I'm staying, too." he says.

You look back at your own hand. A King of Hearts and 5 of Spades. You put a hand to your chin, pondering on what you should do next. You then say those two dreaded words to Angel: "Hit me."

"You sure you don't wanna hit this, babe?" Angel says, getting out of his chair and slowly swaying his hips in a seductive way.

"I'm dating Charlie so... yeah, I'm sure." you reply.