Bleeding

Heya there again!

Here's the third entry for Ninjago Angst Week. The prompt is Bleeding (duh), and just for your information, there's going to be some brotherly Greenflame fluff as well. Sue me.

I DO NOT OWN NINJAGO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Watch out!"

Kai whirled around just in time to block the oncoming sword with his own. The harsh clang of metal was nearly deafening, making him wince. With a flick of his wrist, his katana sliced through the air, nicking his opponent neatly on the arm. The guy facing him hissed. Whether it was in pain or anger, Kai couldn't tell.

The entire ninja team was in the middle of a battle against a couple of daring thugs, trying to mug a poor woman late in the evening. Jay had found them and called the team for backup, and as it turned out, the stupid criminals had been trying to lure the ninja here. For what, Kai didn't know.

Whatever the reason, the ninja were here to take them out. And sure, the thugs were pretty impressive fighters, and there were a lot more than even Zane had accounted for, but they had faced way worse odds than this and still pulled through with minimum injuries. So, Kai was confident that they would easily win this.

Still, the thought of any one of his family getting hurt was too much to bear.

Using the butt of his sword to knock his current opponent unconscious, Kai twisted around to survey the scene. The others seemed to be doing just fine on their own, so he shouldn't need to worry much. Not yet, anyway.

There was a sudden whistle of air, and Kai dodged out of the throwing knife's way as it sped past him and embedded itself into the arm of one of the bad guys. He winced slightly. That really had to hurt, though Kai was forced to quickly turn his gaze away as the one who threw the knife came at him again with another knife.

Kai waited at the last second before stepping to the side and sticking his leg out, causing the thug to trip and fall flat on his face, the knife slipping out of his grip. He knocked that one out before turning again, his katana up in the air and already slamming onto another guy's head.

A flash of metal caught the corner of his eye, and Kai raised his sword to block it, only to find that it wasn't aimed at him.

One of the criminals was charging toward Lloyd, who was currently occupied with two people at once and wouldn't be able to see his attacker from behind.

Kai didn't think. He just acted, slamming his body into Lloyd, the breath knocked out of him as he felt something— something foreign rip through him, something that really shouldn't be there, and then pain, sharp and cold and white-hot all at once, erupted in his stomach.

He blinked once, slowly, staring down at the blood (his blood), at his stomach, at the sword which was still embedded in him, not entirely sure if he was dreaming or not. The pain had kind of dulled, which was really strange, because last he checked, getting stabbed was supposed to hurt like hell.

Suddenly, the sword was pulled out of his stomach, drawing a gasp from him.

He crumpled. Oddly enough, the ground was wet and sticky. And warm. Really warm. Was that normal? He didn't know.

"Kai!" Lloyd's panicked voice swam into his consciousness, and Kai felt something—or rather, someone—press a hand to his stomach. He groaned, trying to desperately block out the pain. Vaguely, he could still hear sounds of battle near him, but it sounded far away, as if he'd been immersed in water.