The Demon King's Final Fate (Iruazz)

A/N: For one, this fic takes place at least five years in the future from when the manga takes place. Second, first fic for a new fandom (booyah). And finally, this fic is based off the She-ra ending (yes, with the kiss)

The dread in the bottom of Asmodeus's heart climbs to the top of his head when he and Iruma come to a stop before a colossal door. The frame of the door is made up of various twisted black roots and brambles, faintly tipped with a purple poison--the same poison covering all spikes in the underground fortress--and the door itself is of an even darker black, almost as black as the endless abyss. The door looms over them ominously, and Asmodeus can almost see the waves of darkness emanating from it. His head is already aching more than his heart, and something in him cracks when Iruma takes a couple steps towards the door.

"Azz. Get as far away from here as you can."

Asmodeus shifts his eyes to his feet and clenches his fists, his body trembling. "Please... Master Iruma, you can't-" Just as he looks up again, he sees Iruma's face--hard, eyes sharp with determination--and he shuts his mouth.

"I have to go."

But what echoes in Asmodeus's head is Iruma's voice saying, "I have to go die."

"Then... Then..." Asmodeus grits his teeth, trying to hold back the tears in his eyes. "I'm going with you!" he bursts out, almost desperately.

"It's okay, Azz. I can handle this." Iruma shoots back a reassuring smile before facing the door again. Asmodeus watches as he takes a couple more steps forward and places the palms of his hands against the door. With a yell, Iruma gives the door one big shove, and it swings open, sending a torrent of darkness out in their direction.

Iruma seems unaffected, taking his first step inside the door, but the darkness whips at Asmodeus, almost pushing him back. A single tear trails down his face, but he quickly wipes it away.

It's thanks to everyone else that master was able to make it this far. What am I planning on doing? Sitting here and crying?

Asmodeus grunts as he pushes against the darkness, against the pain, taking a single step forward, and planting his foot into the ground.

I said I would be Master Iruma's spear. Maybe I can't fight the beast ahead...

He takes another step.

But I can still be there by his side.

"I'm... I'm..." He finally manages to break into a run. "I'm coming, Master Iruma!" he shouts.

The thick wooden door slams shut almost the instant after Asmodeus passes through the doorway, and he takes Iruma's hand, giving him a sad smile. "I'm not leaving you, master."

Iruma relinquishes control over his face and releases a breath he must've been holding. "Okay." He gives Asmodeus a genuine smile, and it almost causes the floodgates to break. "I'm sorry you have to see this, but I know I can't stop you from being here," the smile says, and another crack forms inside Asmodeus.

Asmodeus stands straight and stiff as a rod, holding his still curled up fists to his sides. He still clenches his teeth as Iruma hardens his face once more and turns back around, pressing forward. Tears begin to blur his eyes till all he can see is a blue blur--Iruma. He doesn't sense the beast that only the demon king can vanquish because he's too focused on Iruma to notice anything else.

It's so unfair.

Asmodeus doesn't even move his hands to wipe his eyes as tears begin to well up in them again.

He has to sacrifice everything.

The dread rises in him once more, even past it's earlier peak as he stands there, away from Iruma's battle, agonizing over his unfortunate situation.