From Strangers to Strangers

I look at myself in the mirror. I close my eyes and heave a deep sigh, and think Hey, Mico. You can do this. This is just a reunion. Nothing bad will happen. The Young Padawans will be there for you. I am not sure if I want to go on with this. I can just ditch my first-year college professor's event, but she especially requested my presence.

Miss Moran will soon fly to the United States to pursue her theater aspirations, and she asked if she could have us in her Despedida party. How can I reject the invitation of one of the professors who taught a huge lesson in my identity -- and life, in general. My life is forever changed since that project.

I wear the dark blue coat-like jacket that Xavier gave me during their graduation ball. I will never forget it. Still making my heart flutter and I still get these butterflies in my stomach. I am kind of surprised that the jacket still fits me.

It has been six years since our first hug and duet in that used-to-be abandoned shop. I am already in my second year in Medical School. The third in my list of plans. I am getting there to the finish line. I was granted a scholarship and graduated with flying colors. And now I am here, taking my medical degree. Like I used to say, my plans will never get disrupted by anything -- or anyone.

My phone rings. It is Kookai calling me. It is 7 o'clock in the evening, and I am late for the party. They probably think I am not coming anymore.

"Mico," Kookai says as I answer the phone. "Where are you? Everyone's here already. Miss Moran is looking for you."

I miss her voice. It has been months since we last spoke. Actually, it has been months since I last spoke to The Young Padawans. Our schedules recently usually do not meet and we cannot even plan a video call like what we used to do.

Kookai and Seph are going strong together while Junjun is currently managing the milk-tea shop that his mum established during the time of COVID-19. While me, I have a demanding schedule in my medical school that I often lose in touch with them. I am beyond grateful that they understand anyway.

I miss them. I miss my best friends, which is why it is refreshing to hear Kookai's voice on my phone right now. I can hear them in the background calling me and telling me to rush.

"We missed you, Mico," I hear Junjun say. I smile as I hear his voice. Oh, Junjun. He is the sweetest.

"I'm on my way," I tell her. "I'll get there in 15 minutes. It's not like she lives too far from my place."

"Okay," she says. "And, oh, Mico, by the way..."

There is a long pause. I hear Seph whispers to Kookai to not tell me about it, as if I am not on the other end.

"What is it?" I say. "Just tell me."

Kookai is holding back what to answer me, but she spills it anyway. "Xavier's already here," she says, suddenly whispering.

Am I ready for this? It has been years since I last saw him. My heart suddenly beats too fast, like how it had been when I first realized that I am catching feelings for him. This feeling.

"Yeah. I know he's coming," I say while nodding my head. "Of course, he will."