Past

"I'm so glad you came," Xavier said. "I almost thought you were gonna ditch me."

I smiled at him and turned my head down while blushing. I was holding his neck, while he was holding my hips. We were dancing in a ball -- their Graduation Ball. He invited me to be his date. It was chaos convincing me to be here because parties or balls were not very much my thing, and to think that Xavier was a famous guy in our University, scenes like this one were pretty much embarrassing on my end. Not that I was ashamed of people seeing us together, it was just that, I could not take it away from my mind that it was not usual for couples like us to be this out in the public eye. Let alone in a Graduation Ball.

I was late when I got here because I was having a lot of hesitations, but thanks to Junjun for pushing me. Xavier was nonstop calling all night, but I was not answering him. And now I was here, dancing with him. Other graduating students and professors looking at us.

This was Xavier's last few moments here in the university before he graduated. I was just in my second year of college. I had gone through a lot of thinking because of this situation. I was not sure if I could survive not having Xavier around, and to think that after this, he would be busy with a lot of stuff.

"Why do you think I would do that?" I asked him. "This is one of your last few moments here at the university. I want us to cherish this."

He laughed softly. "Well, just in case you forgot about it, it was a struggle inviting you to be here with me -- as my date."

I rolled my eyes, "Xavier, you know why."

"Yeah," he answered. "I know. And I understand. That's why I thank you a lot for accompanying me here. This would not be as special without you."

I could not stop blushing at him saying this. He was such a romantic, and I was such a dimwit.

A new song began playing in the background, I was kind of shocked hearing it because it was our favorite (not our theme song, just a favorite).

I want you to know

I'm a mirrorball

I'll show you every version of yourself tonight

"Did you request this?" I asked him suspiciously.

He scratched his head, "Yeah, I did. But you should blame Ms. Moran for that. She asked me what my favorite song is."

I hugged him tightly while he danced me through the song. It felt so good dancing on a song with the one you love.

Hush

When no one is around, my dear

You'll find me on my tallest tiptoes

Spinning in my highest heels, love

Shining just for you

As the song ended, Xavier held my cheeks and kissed me. This time, I forgot the people around us existed. In this world, it was us in our safest place. No judgments. No prejudices. Just two boys kissing. Just two boys who found love in each other.

Hush

I know they said the end is near

But I'm still on my tallest tiptoes

Spinning in my highest heels, love

Shining just for you

Moments passed, and the thoughts of Xavier leaving soon resurfaced in my mind. We were sitting side by side in our table while he was holding my right hand. He kissed it and told me he was going to miss seeing me every day. His graduation was coming a month from now. I, too, my love was going to miss you and your presence.

Could I stand not having him around? I got so used to having him all the time. He was all over the place especially in the first few months of our relationship. We always had that pancit canton dates like what we used to do when we were just getting to know each other.

I always wonder recently if this was what I wanted. Looking at this guy beside me -- the reason why I knew who the real Mico was, was this just a phase in my life? I often asked myself, "Do I deserve Xavier?"

This was a kind of language that I was not very fluent in, this thing they called love. Was this love? Or was I just overwhelmed because Xavier was there to catch me when I realized that I was gay?

And now that he was leaving, I was scared knowing that the reason that I knew who I was would be gone.

"Hey, love," Xavier suddenly said in the middle of our silence. "Before I forgot about it, did you bring your gift?"

Oh, yeah. We agreed to give each other gifts as remembrances of being together, but the twist here was that we should give something that reminded us of a moment in our lives, and should be in our possession (not bought from somewhere else).

"Of course, I did." I smiled at him.

I pulled out the paper bag from my tote bag. He pulled out his gift as well -- it was also in a paper bag.

"Okay you go first," he said. His smile was huge and I could not stop blushing. Oh, Xavier. "You must explain what is inside that paper bag before giving it to me, okay?"

He was such a romantic. "Fine," I told him as I rolled my eyes.

I faced him sideways and then lifted the paper bag to my chest. I was thinking of the memory I had with this gift, and I was sure he would not even remember that this was it. Although, I was thinking he would remember since he had a sharp memory.

"This was something that you first saw me in when we met in person," I started. I began to giggle since that was a lame clue. He knew what this was already. "I decided that I should give this to you because our first meeting was what changed us, and the reason why we are here."

I handed him the paper bag and he opened it. He took out the rainbow jacket that I used to wear all the time and three colored pens -- red, blue, and green. I smiled at him as he looked at me.

"I am not sure if that would even fit you," I told him. "But you are free to have it repaired to suit you. Or you can just keep it. Your deal."

"Wow, Mico," he said in amusement. "I am so happy to have this. I swear. I don't know what to say. But you will see me in this."

He lifted his paper bag, "Anyway, here is my gift." I immediately opened it as he handed it to me. Inside, I found a dark blue coat-like jacket and his green stress ball -- the one he used to play with when we were rehearsing our performance.

"Coincidentally, I want to give you the same jacket that I wore when we became official," he said, smiling. "As you know, that was such a momentous happening in our lives and the reason why we are here. I love you."

I kissed him on his left cheek, and told him, "I love you, too. Thank you for this. I appreciate it."

He then kissed me back on my lips.

"Anyway, since we gave each other pieces of garments," he said after a moment of silence. I smiled and looked at him, I nodded to show attentiveness. I believed he had something in mind. "Can we promise to wear these in one of our future dates?"

"Sure," I lifted my pinky. "Promise."

Heclung his pinky on mine and said, "To our future dates, we are going to wearthese."