6

"Which one's that?" Jungkook asks, turning onto his stomach, chin resting against Jimin's shoulder.

"The Little Prince," Jimin says, pointing to a picture of a tiny blond-haired boy standing on a planet with flowers and tiny mountains.

"Is it good?" Jungkook asks as Jimin flips to the first page. He shrugs.

"Dunno yet."

By the time they finish, the both of them feel like their hearts are going to pump right out of their mouths and they go to sleep promising each other to always love sunrises more than sunsets. And Jimin decides that this is his favorite book of all time.

Notices fly through every single holographic device in the entire world--the last ship is leaving in two days. Bring only what you need and nothing else. Supplies will be provided on the ship and partitioned after the headcount has been completed.
Please check to make sure you are on the registered name list to confirm your space upon the spacecraft.

"We've confirmed, right?" Jimin asks, peering over the top of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Jungkook is sitting at the other end of the sofa, speeding through Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

"Hm? Oh–yeah we have. We got the space assignments too, the same bunk bed. But I used our birth certificate names," Jungkook says with a sheepish grin, "so we'll have to check in at different lines but we'll meet up back inside."

"Good," Jimin says, eyes lowering back onto the page.

Two days pass in a flurry of words, faster than the flip of a page.

The check in times are blocked off, mainly to keep the teleportation stations from flooding, and too many people trying to access the same end point might cause glitches in the system (horrible accidents in the past). Jungkook and Jimin are slotted for the last batch of people leaving.

"Orphans, duh," Jungkook says when Jimin asks why they're always last in line for everything.

"Right, right," Jimin says, slumping down next to him, watching the clock on the wall tick down mankind's last couple of hours on Earth.
It's weirdly symbolic, that the last people on Earth would be those at the bottom of the social class, misfits and orphans.

When the time finally comes, they decide to leave the books. They're heavy and not worth the weight when teleporting — might screw up the algorithm if their masses are too off and they can't use an entire teleportation ticket for just books, they only have two.