11

After a flurry of whispers in a language Jungkook swears he doesn't know, and a mess of beeps and click and soft static, the first man speaks into a small microphone on a long cord.

"Hello? Is anyone there? Does anyone hear me?"

And then, like a piercing shard of clarity, painful enough to clear the mind, comes Jimin's voice.

"H-hello? Is someone there? Hello?"

"Jimin! Jimin, oh fuck Jimin, can you hear me? Can you hear me?" Jungkook grabs at the microphone as the man hands it to him and clutches it to his mouth like it could not only save him, but everyone else on this ship.

"We won't be able to get you on a private line because the signal is too weak," the man whispers, close to Jungkook's ear.

"..And once we clear Jupiter's moons, we'll lose radio distance... but you have a little while."

Jungkook nods without really hearing the words, too intent on the breaths coming from the large speakers above him.

He could almost hear Jimin's heartbeat, feel it beneath his cheek as he presses his face against the cool of the wall, trying to hold down his hiccups.

"Jungkook? Oh shit--is that you?"

"Y-yeah, it's me. What the hell did you go back to grab? You know you missed the ship, right?"

"Yeah... figured that one out myself. I... I picked up a teleportation ticket on the ground and figured that... well, you said you wanted to plant cherry trees when we got to this new planet right? So... I came back to grab your gardening book."
He sounds sheepish; Jungkook can almost see the embarrassed little smile on his face as he scratches the back of his neck.