The Oath of Orpheus

A/N: Y'all are really gonna need your tissues for this one lmao

CHAPTER ANTHEMS:
Drifting Away by Khai Dreams
The Ghost on the Shore by Lord Huron
Work Out by J. Cole
Love Lies by Khalid ft Normani
Side You by David Cutter
It Only Hurts by Default

After Uraraka and Iida had left to go do some more research for their internships, it was just Todoroki and Midoriya again. Todoroki was cleaning up the kitchen when Midoriya hummed softly to himself, thinking about what All Might had told him; the words running through his mind like a race car. Todoroki murmured.

"You've got that look in your eyes again...the one where you're thinking about something All Might told you."

Midoriya widened his eyes and exclaimed in surprise.

"What? What do you mean?"

"Whenever you and All Might speak to each other, you always get this look on your face like he just told you something life-changing afterward. It was about (Y/n), wasn't it?"

Midoriya almost cursed on how perceptive Todoroki was. Midoriya sighed and nodded, replying after a moment while twiddling his fingers.

"I...I didn't make much sense of it at first...when I realized (Y/n) was my soulmate. I was frightened of her when I first met her...and she obviously didn't like me either. For a while, I just admired her from afar because she was so much like Kacchan...so much like a hero already."

Midoriya smiled lightly as your face ran through his mind, looking determined as you always did.

"Even though her quirk wasn't as flashy as Kacchan's, (Y/n) understood her quirk on such a level that most of us couldn't dream of achieving at just our second year. Not only that, but she wasn't driven by arrogance and ego like Kacchan was...she just genuinely wanted to be number one and help people."

Todoroki hummed and responded.

"(L/n) had the highest marks within her class in both quirk apprehension and skill application. Her fighting style is almost always unpredictable...it makes her dangerous for a good reason."

Midoriya nodded before revealing to Todoroki.

"But...even though she was the best in her class...even though we had passed our exam with Thirteen, even when she lost the Sports Festival to Kaminari...there was a look in her eyes as if she believed it wasn't enough. And now, after talking to All Might, I understand."

Todoroki tilted his head as he gazed at Midoriya, asking him.

"What do you mean?"

Midoriya looked at Todoroki, gesticulating as he spoke.

"All Might told me that soulmates didn't always have to be lovers. A soulmate could be a friend or just...someone that you depend on when you need them. He told me that maybe...maybe my bond with (Y/n) isn't romantic, but rather...supportive, I guess. He described it as her being fire and I am earth, and she burns me down in order for new things to grow and mature while I keep her flame alive."

Todoroki was stupefied. Though his knowledge on soulmates was limited, Todoroki had just always assumed that a soulmate was someone you were supposed to love and spend the rest of your life with. It was almost shocking to hear the words come from Midoriya's mouth.

"But, even so...I know that deep down in my heart that I love (Y/n) (L/n) even if she doesn't or doesn't want me."

And suddenly, Todoroki didn't understand all over again. If a soulmate loved the other...how was it possible that the love was one-sided? Was there really such thing as one-sided soulmates? Todoroki almost felt compelled to tell Midoriya what you had told him, but he refrained the best that he could.