s e v e n

I looked at my phone where it sat on the couch next to me.

I took a couple of bites from my cereal to distract myself, failed and looked back at it.

Damien hadn't texted me yet. He was the usually the first to wake me in the morning, especially on Saturdays.

We hadn't spoken since last night. I know he read the text message I sent him asking him how his date went.

But he still hadn't responded.

I hope he's okay...

"Good morning, Emmy!"

I looked up at my mother as she moved through the kitchen with a brilliant smile. I spoke through the cereal in my mouth. "'Morning."

She smiled in response. "You and your classmates played beautifully last night, Emmy. Congratulations."

I smiled. "Thanks Mom."

She sighed loudly as she looked through her own phone. "Are you busy tonight?"

I shook my head. "No, not really."

Her green eyes met mine and I swore they lit up. "Good, I'm having a friend over tonight for dinner. Do you remember Lorraine? My co-worker from ACE?"

I nodded remembering ACE being the company my mother worked at for almost all of my teenage years. She still saw Lorraine from time to time.

"Did you know she has a son? He's a successful banker in the city -"

"No," I moaned. "Please don't. Not setting me up, again."

She hushed me. "He's back in town from the big city and wants to meet you."

I saw through her lies and squinted my eyes at her in a mock glare. "No, he doesn't."

She rolled her eyes and ran a hand through her frizzy blonde hair. "Come on, Emmy. Work with me here! I even got you a dress."

I rolled my eyes and groaned in the loudest way possible to show my displeasure. "Mom, please, I don't need a matchmaker."

She set her phone down forcefully in the cushion between us. "Emylin, you need a boyfriend! You are twenty-two years old!"

I rolled my eyes again. "I don't need a boyfriend."

My mother sighed heavily.

I shook my head and looked at her exasperated. "Does it really bother you that much?"

She sighed as she moved to the kitchen. She began to go through the drawers, pulling out a notepad and pen. "I worry about you, Emmy. Your life doesn't start after college, it's happening now, all around you. School is important, but not so important you miss out on life."

I smiled weakly and walked to her placing my arms around her shoulders behind her in a hug. "I'm alright, Mom. Honestly. Damien keeps me sane."

She sighed, frustrated. "Damien. You said he's just a classmate but is he ever going to ask you out?"

I shook my head and placed my chin on her shoulder. "Not likely," I laughed. "He's found someone. Do you remember Leah?"

I felt her tense beneath my arms. "Oh, that witch."

I shrugged my shoulders. "He seems to like her."

She shook her head. "I know I just met him but he can do much better. Have you told him that?"

I sighed, dropping my arms. "It's so complicated, Mom."

She looked at me with questioning eyes. "I think you owe it to that boy to tell him what she's capable of, Emmy. She is an absolute witch."