Part 1

"Gross"

Another couple. Probably the 50th overly lovey-dovey pair that you've seen this evening alone. The shop is packed full of them on warm nights like this.

To say 'love' isn't really your thing isn't far from the truth. Relationships suck. Been there, done that.

You always keep the same theory; relationships either end in heartbreak or marriage. And even still, marriage can still end in heartbreak, so what's the point?

"Stop being dramatic," Taehyung laughs after catching your snide remark from around the corner. He had just run to the back to get you a fresh package of cups after using up all the stock in the front.

Tonight is busy, to say the least. The sun is setting, and it's the perfect time for families and couples alike to come in and get a cold and tasty treat, especially on a day as hot as this one. It's over 100º, and the humidity is doing a real number to your hair.

"It's not dramatic," you sigh, leaning on the counter behind you as Taehyung maneuvers around you, placing the cups on the shelf underneath.

It's just the two of you on the schedule tonight. Your boss is kind of an asshole, leaving 2 'kids' in their early twenties to run the shop by themselves while he went off to do god knows what. Probably at the bar across the street, since his car is still parked in the back, but he's nowhere to be found. That's okay though, it's better than having him loom over your shoulder and critique your scooping texture the whole shift.

"Whatever you say," Taehyung shakes his head.

Unlike yourself, Taehyung is a hopeless romantic, always looking for love in the wrong places. It always seems that his relationships never work out though, which has always confused you – Taehyung is a great guy.

So great that you have been best friends with him for as long as you could remember. It all started that time in pre-k, where you poured a shovel of sand on his head in the sandbox. Initially, it did make him cry, but he got over it eventually. Ever since, he's been right by your side, sandy hair and all.

"How much longer," your eyes roll back in your head, neglecting to look at the watch on your wrist in fear that your shift has a significant amount of time left.

"Just under an hour, we should start the closing checklist so we can get outta here," Tae responds as he reaches for the rag and sanitation bucket.

Nodding your head, you follow his plan – beginning your mission to clean like a speed demon so you can leave at 8 o'clock on the dot. You'll be damned if a customer comes in at 7:58, but there's always one Karen that comes as you're about to lock the doors. You hate those Karens.

Lucky for you, closing tonight went as smoothly as it can go. You and Taehyung are ready to go at 8 on the dot, clocking out and locking up behind you.

"So what are we doing tonight?" Taehyung asks, his fingers adjusting the headband that sits just above his forehead.

"I was gonna go home and sleep..." you trail off, avoiding eye contact with him. You know his eyes are much too convincing to look into, and you are beyond exhausted from working a double today.

"Booooo you're boring," he teases, stopping in his tracks in the center of the parking lot, "it was an early night we should do something."

With a deep sigh, you stop as well, turning around to meet his suggestive smirk. He knows he's about to get his way before you have the chance to argue back with him. So you tilt your head, waiting for him to explain what he has in mind.

"I'll be at your house by 9."

And with that, you're starting the ignition to your car and racing home, carefully, of course.