Chapter 1 ☽ The Box in the Garden

———————————————————————

Travelling across the universe at impossible speeds, through crimson stars, and cold collapsing moons, from trembling nebulas like oceans set on fire, a blue box was crashing towards an unknown earth. As it jerked and spun, hurling through the vortexes on some on unfamiliar route the TARDIS had just programmed into itself, it continued rebooting as its doctor was hurled around inside in the midst of regenerating. In the ship a set of lips swore, using a voice box that had never been moved before, while hands that hadn't ever touched anything yet, grabbed a hold of the console to pull a body upwards.

Only ten hours into a fifteen hour regeneration cycle, the Time Lord held onto the main lever to keep from being thrown across the glossy floor surrounding the coral control panel. The room blew apart with fires starting from everywhere, licking the turquoise coral pillars that had once been the safe home to his previous incarnate and their companions. Wires continued to drop from the ceiling like snakes with sparking fangs that thrashed back and forth as the TARDIS entered and left different atmospheres. Just as he moved to stand once more, try to get a glance at where in this big, crazy universe he'd be launched through, there was a loud and sudden bang that threw his whole world upside down...

———————————————————————

From the make-shift window glued into the side of a wonderfully constructed little apocalypse home, a little girl looked outside towards what was left of the stars. Through a sky of smoke and very little dark blue, with only a bright moon to shine down on the decimation of a war that shattered the world. And just one little girl, stuck sitting in an old aircraft seat with a juice box in her hand, staring out the window looking for stars.

The girl sat up slightly, drawing the bitter liquid up threw her plastic straw as she gazed out the screen through which she saw the ruin of the entire world. Drawing her lonely gaze up to the sky, she watched a flickering light begin to grow brighter. Her first thought wasn't an uncommon one, half of her nights were watching satellites crash in the distance, leaving a short-lived plume of glowing smoke in their wake. As this one descended however, it left no smoker trail, just a glowing white light around it, that flickered as it fell.

Letting her feet fall beneath her so she could stand, the girl set her small plastic carton down and walked to a set of miss-matched doors; a wood and iron one, and slid the closest to the side as neither were fashioned into any sort of hinges. Pulling a fur coat, that might have once been worn by a wealthy woman, around her shoulders, and tugging up hiking boots that were one size too large.

Outside of her sheltered home, the atmosphere wasn't as slogged with smoke or pollution as you'd expect from a sky that was on fire on the day mankind fell. So there was no need for more than the front of her shirt pulled up to shade her nose and mouth as a wave of dust washed over her, causing her to briefly shut her eyes. When she reopened them, a strange blue box had taken over what little space had been left in the haphazardly-organised plot of dirt she'd spent the last few months tidying to appease her boredom.
Boredom had become a little girl's favourite word, not so much favourite as an unconventional love for it, but its safe feeling as a replacement to the word isolation.