xxiii

23

R E P A R O

( reh - PAH - roh )

" to fix "

_______________

STUDENTS AND PROFESSORS had gathered in the Great Hall for the memorial of Cedric Diggory. Lyra stood at Harry's side on the front row, she was encased in his arms, already fighting sobs.

Dumbledore sat in a lonesome chair, watching the candle wax drip onto the lectern. "Today we acknowledge a terrible loss," He began, "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptional hard working; infinitely fair minded; and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend."

Lyra's body shook as she held back her sobs, tears glittered on her flushed cheeks, listening to Dumbledore's words. Lyra took in a shaky breath and wiped her cheeks with the sleeve of her robe.

"Now I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died," Dumbledore's voice rose, "You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

Students and professors alike shifted uncomfortably at the mention of his name. Lyra and Harry shivered, thinking back on their experience in the cemetery.

"Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss, reminds me, reminds us.. that; while we might come from different places and speak in different tongues," Dumbledore glanced at Lyra, her bottom lip trembled violently, "Our hearts beat as one."

Lyra gazed up at Harry, watching a few tears slip from his eyes, tumbling down his cheeks. She pulled away from his comforting embrace and wiped them away, a shaking smile on her lips.

"In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever."

She looked around the room at all of her friends standing with solemn expressions. Blaise sent her a tight lipped smile and bowed his head once more.

"Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain." Dumbledore added.

Lyra shook her head, tresses of orange and amber waving behind her. Her eyes fogged with unshed tears, shimmering in the sunlight that passed in a myriad of colours through the stained glass window.

"You remember that!" He enforced, "And we'll remember a boy who was kind and honest, brave and true, right to the very end."

In the passing moment of silence, shuffling footsteps echoed in the hall. The large group of mourners stared at Lyra, who was shuffling frantically through a row of Gryffindors. She reached the isle in the centre of the hall, breathing heavily and looking around at the faces of her peers and teachers.

"I'm sorry," She choked out, "I can't — I can't do this."

Lyra stumbled her way out of the Great Hall, trying to navigate her way to a recluse spot through a blurred world. She eventually reached the bridge that she and Cedric would sit on every morning and climbed into the open space, preaching on the window ledge.

The four Slytherin found her eventually, after a lengthy argument with a band of Gryffindor's who also wanted to run after her. Daphne wrapped her arms around Lyra, making her jump slightly.