Part Nine

I pressed the button and the wall opened, the other side looked like bricks. I stepped out, squinting and blinking as my eyes adjusted to the change of light.

I approached the bush where I had stashed the hover-board. I grabbed it and turned it on; the machine hummed as it came to life.

I stepped onto it and set off, crouching and leaning forward so my speed increased. I took the same route back, through the park and zooming down Tunnel 1, the Hopeless became a blur of mumbles and cries, as I zoomed past.

I checked my watch, 11:45 I had fifteen minutes.

I approached the house, leaping off of the hover board and stumbling, barely managing to right myself to avoid falling into the front door. The hover board came to a stop the moment my feet left it. I unlocked the door and stumbled inside, tossing my backpack into its usual spot by the entryway.

I whipped my hoodie off and stumbled into my kitchen and living room entryway. I tossed my hoodie onto the leather sofa and wandered over to the fridge. I hastily opened it and made a sandwich, sitting down at the counter.

I paused; remembering I would be expected to use my lunch period to read my textbooks, I stood up and walked. Grabbing my backpack; I opened it and grabbed a pencil and a maths textbook, before walking back to where my sandwich sat.

I sprawled the textbook on the counter and held the pencil in my hand, casually reading about algebra and equations; within my free hand I held my sandwich, occasionally taking bites.

About three minutes later I heard the front door open, and my mother's heels clicking on the ground.

Her head popped round the corner, her strawberry-blonde hair was still tied in an immaculate bun. She smiled when she saw me, "Hello sweetheart, just popping in to check you were okay, I'm glad to see you doing your schoolwork already."

I nodded and muffled out a hello. I took a few more bites of my sandwich and finished it.

My mother waltzed into the kitchen and picked up her Tupperware box of salad and a fork from the drawer beside the breakfast bar/counter.

She ate her lunch whilst I pretended to study and jot down notes on a post-it note; but instead I was writing down ideas of why my father could have built the life-changing machine.

Just the thought of my father doing some good for The Portum community made me smile and I had to stifle a laugh at how the government would feel if they found out.

About ten minutes later, I heard the front door close; realising my mother had left again for work without even saying goodbye. I shrugged, not really bothered as I was used to it.

I slammed the textbook shut and stood up, walking back over to my bag and dumping the textbook back in it.

I scooped the bag up and hurried into my room, pulling off my horrid uniform and changing into a pair of sleek black leggings and a top, I walked out of my bedroom, slinging the bag over my shoulder.

Then I grabbed my hoodie and tied the sleeves around my waist as I headed outside, locking the door behind me.

I knew I should be at school, but I didn't want to start halfway through the day; it would have to happen tomorrow.

I paused outside my house, wondering if where I could go, the lab was out of the options. Going back twice in one day was risky.

The other place I could go to, would be the Tower, where my mother works; and possibly try to discover some government secrets. The only way I could pull this off was to dress like my mother, as we looked extremely similar.

One doubt kept plaguing my mind, would I be able to pull it off?