𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒

────── ☼ ☼ ☼ ──────

────── ☼ ☼ ☼ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐘

────── ☼ ☼ ☼ ──────

Later that night, all the students of Auradon Prep gathered in the castle gardens for the after party. Fireworks went off in the air above them as loud music played for everyone to enjoy. Rylee and Morgan danced with their siblings as their laughter filled the air. It wasn't long before their attention was drawn towards a group of Tourney players carrying Ben towards the stage. As soon as the Beast boy was set on his feet, cheers erupted from the crowd before Ben went dancing with Mal.

The Fitzherbert and Macintosh siblings watched the couple for a short moment before Elliot took Morgan to join them followed by Ruby and Roland. A small laugh escaped Rylee as she watched her family's terrible dancing before her attention fell on Evie, who was dancing with Doug on the other side of the stage. After she watched them for a moment, Rylee looked around at the crowd in search of the two boys from the Isle. It wasn't long before she spotted Carlos sitting alone by the stair. A small smile appeared on the princess' face when she saw him glancing over at Jane, who was sitting on one of the benches alone. The Fitzherbert girl didn't hesitate to make her way over toward the De Vil boy before stopping at his side.

"You should ask her to dance," Rylee told him, causing Carlos to jump before he looked up at her with a hint of panic in his eyes that faded when he realized it was her.

After letting out a long sigh, the De Vil boy turned his attention back to Jane and opened his mouth to speak. "She'll probably just say no."

"She might," the Fitzherbert girl responded before grabbing Carlos' arm and forcing him to his feet, "but you won't know until you ask."

The blonde princess let out another laugh as the white-haired boy just stared at her. It wasn't long after that when Rylee gently pushed Carlos toward Jane and watched him continue walking on his own. The Fitzherbert girl's eyes stayed glued to the pair as Carlos said a few inaudible words to the daughter Fairy Godmother's daughter. A smile soon appeared on Rylee's face as she watched her take the De Vil boy's hand before he led her onto the stage.

"You know, Goldilocks, you should be dancing," someone behind Rylee said, causing her to turn around and come face to face with a smirking Jay, "it is a party after all."

"Is this your way of asking me to dance?"

The only response the princess received from the boy in the red leather jacket was his outstretched hand. The smile on Rylee's face did nothing but grow as she gladly took his hand and let him escort her to join the dancing students. Once they reached the dance floor, the son of Jafar spun the daughter of Rapunzel and Eugene in a circle as her laughter filled the air before they danced along to the music.

Rylee felt a hand land on her shoulder at the same moment the song changed. The joy she felt was replaced with shock after she turned around to face Pete Pan. Jay instantly placed a protective arm around the Fitzherbert girl's shoulders as he glared down at the son of Peter Pan. The three of them just stood in awkward silence before Pete awkwardly rubbed his hand against the back of his neck.

"Can we talk?" he asked while trying to ignore the daggers Jay was sending him.

"I don't think that's the best idea," Jay told the boy in the same tone Elliot used when he went into protective older brother mode.

"Please, Rylee. I really need to talk to you."

Rylee just stared at the son of Peter Pan before she felt Jay slightly tense up beside her. When she caught the hint of regret in Pete's eyes, the Fitzherbert girl let out a quiet sigh and turned her attention to the boy who still had his arm protectively around her.

"I'll be fast," she said, causing Jay's frown to deepen before Rylee sent him a smile and whispered, "if it goes south, I'll call you."

The blonde princess' comment caused a small smirk to form on the son of Jafar's face before he sent Pete another glare and went to meet up with Carlos. As soon as he was gone, Rylee walked with Pete over to one of the benches and sat down next to him, leaving a good foot between them. A moment of pure, uncomfortable silence passed before the Fitzherbert girl heard the Lost Boy release a long breath and turn to face her.

"I was wrong about everything. I should have trusted my original instincts and given them a chance before I changed my opinion of them. I don't know why I did. I think I let Audrey and Chad get to me when I shouldn't have," he explained to the girl sitting next to him while keeping his eyes glued to his hands resting in his lap. Pete let out another sigh before he finally looked away from his intertwined fingers to meet Rylee's gaze. "But that's no excuse for how I treated you. All you were doing was helping them adapt, which was exactly what you should've been doing...it's what I should've been doing too. I'm really, really sorry, Rylee."

Silence surrounded them once again as the Fitzherbert girl continued to stare at the boy that she'd known for almost as long as Ben. The boy who had been there for her every step of the way. Rylee knew in her heart that she needed Pete in her life...but she also knew things wouldn't be the same between them no matter how much they wanted them to be.

"I forgive you, Pete," the blonde girl finally said, causing the son of Peter Pan to look at her as if she grew a second head.

"You do?"

"Of course, I do...but things are different now. I know you want to help your dad on Neverland and I have to focus on helping Ben rule Auradon."

"I understand."

"But that doesn't mean we can't go back to being friends."

As soon as he took in her words, Pete's head shot up to meet her gaze. A smile instantly formed on his face to match the one on hers then he pulled her in for a long hug. Once they ended their moment, the pair got to their feet then the son of Peter Pan took her hand and escorted her back to the stage. The moment they got there, everyone looked up to see Ben and Mal on the balcony before everyone bowed to the new King of Auradon.

────── ☼ ☼ ☼ ──────

────── ☼ ☼ ☼ ──────