somebody loves you (or two halves of a whole?)

sherlock holmes and john watson: two halves of a whole

sherlock and john's eyes were locked, neither of them daring to move a muscle as they held their breaths, that same word echoing through their minds: finally. mike stamford felt immediately out of place as he stood awkwardly in the corner, confused at the sudden silence and eerie tension filling the room.

"do you two know each other?" he asked after clearing his throat, trying to break the silence. john was the first to blink, slowly, as he directed a question towards mike, never letting his eyes leave sherlocks.

"what's his name?"

"oh. it's sh—"

"what's your name?" john questioned again, cutting off mike and expectantly waiting for the man to answer, wanting to hear it from him. sherlock shook his head, curls swaying as he promptly stood up.  his hand had still been outstretched and he placed the phone on the counter before grabbing his scarf and nearly running out of the room.

it was all too much, too fast.  he didn't know what to do, what to say, how to say it.  he didn't want to open his mouth, to scare the army doctor away.

sherlock swung the doors open and stepped out into the fresh air, immediately lighting a cigarette.  he inhaled, somewhat relaxing as the toxins filled his lungs.  he couldn't help but think what his soulmate was thinking.  he probably thought he was crazy, or that he didn't want anything to do with him.  sherlock exhaled.

i already fucked everything up.

or so he thought, when hurried footsteps came to a stop behind him, the door jingling close.  sherlocks eyes widened as he quickly put out his cigarette and threw it in the bushes.  whirling around to see the blond man staring right at him, biting his cheek.

"please.  tell me your name. i need to know your name." his eyes were begging him, as it was the one piece to the puzzle he had waited for all his life, the mysterious and difficult and surprising puzzle that it was.

sherlock nodded at the request, closing his eyes and breathing deeply before answering.

"sherlock holmes.  william sherlock scott holmes." sherlock cringed inwardly as the sound of his full name left his lips, hoping he didn't think it was weird.

"i'm john watson.  john hamish watson," he offered immediately, without sherlock asking.  john clenched his fists nervously at his sides, switching his weight between each foot as he finally faced the end, and the future.

they both stayed quiet for what seemed like an eternity, unsure of where to even begin.  then sherlock broke the silence. 

"how do you feel about the violin?"

"sorry, what?"

"i play the violin when i'm thinking and sometimes i don't talk for days on end.  potential soul- erm flat mates should know the worst about each other."

and there it was.  john watson's laugh.  something he's never heard before.  it was so genuine, so full of love.

they both laughed for a while before john spoke up.

"wait.  do you think we're moving in together?"

"course we are.  this morning i told mike i must be a difficult man to find a flatmate for, then he returned with an old friend that's recently returned from afghanistan.  military pension wouldn't cut a decent flat here, anyways."

"wow.  you really are as brilliant as i thought."

"that's not what most people say."

"i know." he smiled.  "i know."