2: Sunrise Cupcakes

"Shivani!"

"Huh?"

"SHIVANI! WAKE UP!"

"Huh?! What? I'm awake!"

Shivani struggled to focus in the dark, but once her eyes opened slightly more she saw Kinjal kneeling next to her bed.

"Did you forget?"

"Forget what?" Shivani groaned. "Kinjal it's 5am. Please let me get some sleep."

"Nope because we have a very important birthday tradition to finish. So I'll give you like six minutes to get ready."

Shivani rubbed her eyes and forced herself to sit up. "Ugh fine okay I'm awake."

"Good I'll see you outside." Kinjal closed the door behind her and Shivani scrambled to brush her teeth and grab a sweatshirt in case it was cold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly six minutes later she walked outside of her room still exhausted. She'd basically pulled an all-nighter going over math and english and she was now running on two hours of sleep.

Kinjal had made herself comfortable on the living room couch and was texting someone on her phone. Her backpack and a box were beside her. When she saw Shivani she started dramatically clapping. "Well it's about time!"

"Yeah yeah whatever. Okay now be quiet before you wake my parents up!"

Kinjal nodded. "Let's go!"

She grabbed her stuff and Shivani grabbed her house keys to lock up once they were outside. They made their way up the cement stairs to the roof of the building like they did every year on their birthday. Shivani lived on the bottom floor of the five floor building so they liked to pretend they were starting their birthday morning with an intrepid trek of a tall mountain.

As they went up the stairs, Kinjal's breathing was getting heavier. "Okay stop! Next time you're meeting me at my house because I am getting way too old for this rooftop trek."

Shivani laughed. "Considering I'm the one who's functioning on two hours of sleep, I think I'm the one who should be complaining."

"Hey just because I wasn't studying does not mean that I slept early. And on an unrelated note, Danny is a fun time." Kinjal winked at Shivani.

"Ew! Kinjal seriously? Ew!" Shivani continued up the stairs as Kinjal laughed and followed her up.

When they finally got up to the fifth floor, they took a couple more steps to reach the heavy door which led to the roof. Opening it was always a two person kind of operation, and when they were little, they used to have to ask their parents to put a doorstop in the night before.

Shivani stepped through the doorway and Kinjal followed. It was still dark out and the air was cool, definitely sweatshirt weather. No one else was up here and they went to go sit near the edge of the roof which overlooked the rest of the colony.

Shivani sighed. "I'm so glad this is our birthday tradition." She smiled at Kinjal, "Thank you for waking me up."

Kinjal smiled, "Well hey it's not our birthday without the sunrise cupcakes. Oh by the way I got these last night and the only flavors they had were chocolate fudge and vanilla cheesecake."

"It's fate I guess."

Every year on their birthday, Shivani got the chocolate fudge cupcake and Kinjal got the vanilla cheesecake cupcake. They lit a candle in it and as the sun rose they blew out the candles and wished each other Happy Birthday. It was a rule that they had to be the first people to see each other on their birthday.