4: Crashing While Learning to Fly

Everything after the final competition was a blur for Shivani. So much had happened, but none of it felt significant enough to really talk about. She had gone home and before she could say anything, Kinjal announced what had happened to Shivani's parents. They were extremely supportive and they didn't even think twice about agreeing to let her try out for Now United. They were especially happy that she would be flying out the week after her board exams.

Speaking of board exams, Shivani felt like they went well and even though she had convinced herself that she was only going to LA for Kinjal and her parents, she knew some part of that was a lie and she was getting more and more excited to go to LA. Kinjal had helped her pack for the trip because she wanted Shivani to be ready for California's latest styles. Her mom was also getting excited because she had never left India before either. For the first time in a long time, Shivani was just going with the flow and not letting her overthinking ruin the moment.

And just like that, the day she was leaving was finally here.

"Mama!! MAMAAAAA!!!" Shivani yelled into the hallway, hoping her mom was finally done packing up all her stuff.

"Shivani ek second rukh jao!" (English: "Shivani wait one second.")

Shivani paced around and went over her mental checklist for about the fiftieth time that hour. She had her dance clothes, she packed her toothbrush, her Polaroid camera rested around her neck, ready to capture all the memories she was about to make, and most importantly she remembered all the steps to "Rajvaadi Odhni", her audition piece.

"HEY!" Shivani jumped back suddenly forgetting where she was, searching for the source of this loud exclamation. "Yo, Shivani, down here!"

Shivani walked to her balcony and gazed down, seeing her best friend Kinjal smiling up at her. "Kinjal! You scared me!" Suddenly a feeling of fear erupted in Shivani, did she remember her audition piece? Was her toothbrush really in her bag? Did she remember how to apply stage makeup? Were her clothes appropriate?

"....so yeah that's basically what I had to tell you. What do you think Shiv?...Shiv?... SHIVANI?????" Shivani looked back at Kinjal. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" Kinjal started laughing, "Dude are you good? You jumped when I called your name and now you're staring at me like I asked you to jump down from the balcony."

Shivani smiled. "I'm so scared, I don't know why, but I do know that I have never felt this scared. I can't believe Simon asked me to audition and I am scared that I will not be good enough and he'll be able to tell that I'm faking it."

Kinjal shook her head. "Yaar tu pagal hi rahe gi. (English: "Shivani you're ridiculous.") Seriously, you're mad. You have trained since you were three and you'll be fine. But listen, there's something I need to tell you, and it can't wait."

"SHIVANI, HUM AIRPORT NIKEL RAHE HAI ABHI!" (English: Shivani we are going to the airport.") Shivani's mom came running out to the balcony as Shivani turned around. "One second ma, Kinjal has to tell me something." Shivani's mom waved to Kinjal and said, "Talk on the phone! Humari flight jaldi take off kaar rahi hi toh humko abhi airport jaana pare ga."

Shivani looked at Kinjal who pasted a smile on her face. "Shivani? Just promise me you'll go out of your comfort zone! Kiss a boy if you like him, you know? Not all of us have the talent or the opportunity to chase our dreams, so please promise me you'll take a risk?"

Shivani laughed. "Yeah Kinjal sure. I'll definitely kiss a guy." She laughed and hoped that her mom didn't hear her talking about kissing boys. That was definitely not a conversation she wanted to have with her mom.

The two girls waved goodbye to each other, neither one of them realized this was the last time they would talk like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------