𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯-Soda

Warning(s): mention on death(ish)

Summary; soda is at Vietnam for the war , and this is the letter he sends to y/n.

-1966

"Nothing has changed, I just really miss home"

To y/n,

                 I hope things are going alright there in Tulsa, i miss home I really do, if you are wondering I'm doing quite fine, yesterday I went out on the field for the first time, golly holding that gun felt really wrong, it was heavier than I expected, I always imagine it to be lighter , looked like it did in cartoons and movies, it was pretty cool until I had to shoot people and they started firing at us too. I got shot on my left leg, you can't even begin to imagine how absolute hell the pain was, I've never been shot before, definitely the experience . I'm alright now I can still walk and run but it still hurt a little, like how it does after you bend your ankle real bad playing baseball. This place,isn't anything like home, I miss home, I miss my brothers, the gang and you.

It felt wrong killing all those people you know, but it was a kill or get killed they said. I hate it here I do. I've been wanting to tell about something, I can never seem to tell you in person because I can never seem to spit it out, and now is a better time than any. The truth is I might not be lucky enough to come home, hell I might not even be here tomorrow or in a minute, maybe even by the time you get this letter and reading it this second, before I get a chance to hug you and my brothers again, I know that and that's the truth of being in a war, but I'm an optimist, I know I'm gonna come home, just wait for me I'll be home, and tell Pony and Darry that too.

I love you y/n, I have for a Long time, you are the most special girl and you mean the world to me I hope you know that, I want you to know that.
Let me tell you something, when I come home, I'll take you to dinner at a nice place just the two of us.

I'm off to the field again in a short while, they said there is a big herd coming, lots of planes and people coming from their side of the field, I'll be honest to ya I'm real terrified and scared, I'm exhausted, but it's worth the fight for my country for the family the gang and you, tell Pony I love him and miss him a lot and tell him he doesn't know how much Darry loves him and care about him, and to Darry I want you to tell him to not fight with Pony all the time and also that I miss him a lot. Don't forget to put flowers on mom and dad's grave tell them that. Tulips would be great if they can find any in Tulsa.

I miss you a lot y/n , I know it may feel like a darn long time but I want you to wait for me alright, I'm coming home, I know I am, I'm an optimist after all. Take care of yourself alright, I'll be home soon.

-Sodapop the optimist

Y/n smiled to herself, eyes blurry from the tears, dripping down on the last of the many notes Sodapop wrote to her, it was a daily thing she did, reading the notes, hoping Soda would come home.She did what he asked her to do, she grew some Tulips on her own, because she couldn't find any in Tulsa. She'd water it every day and harvest them every week and walk through town, in the cemetery, and put Tulips on Sodas mom and fathers grave, then read the letters Soda wrote to her, all of it. Then after,she would put down the remaining Tulips, for Soda.