Chapter 1 - Homeless child

Four days ago, when I first met the duke, in that day I was just sitting in a side street, without knowing, that it would change my life. I stayed and was reading a newspaper, that someone threw away.

"Why are you staring at this newspaper? If you become a prostitute, you would earn a lot of money," - said Walter.

I'll just say in advance, Walter is a good guy. We, slum children, don't even know what prostitutes are doing. Rumors say that prostitutes seem to earn a lot of money. They even can afford to eat tasty, sweet cookies daily.

Sweet cookies... I would like to try it. I think it is something very delicious.

"Shut up, I am trying to concentrate".

I was annoyed by Walter, who kept talking to me.

I couldn't read most of the words, but I understood, when someone posted a job advertisement.

(I'm looking for a beautiful girl for...)

"Great! I read four words today."

"You even can't read."

"I can read some words. Before my mom died, she said me to get a job. This is the only way I can change my fate!"

"What's a fate? How are you going to change it?"

"I know it's hard, but..."

Of course, this was very difficult for a mere beggar.

"Do you think that tall guy has a lot of money?" – asked Wolter.

"The man with a red hat?"

"No, the one in black clothes."

Walter was good at this. He always found for me people who looked reach. I was living mostly from begging. My friends said that I look cute, so people gave me money more often than to others. If I was successful, we all ate bread.

How could I know that this person would change my life.

"Please, give me a coin."

I approached the man and at this moment my tummy rumpled.

Wow, he's really handsome.

He had dark black hair and his red eyes were shinning.

Curiously...gemstones look the same?

He...was...really...handsome.

"Get out of my way"

He was wearing a black suit. He pushed me out of the way. In the moment when his hand touched me, strange memories swept over me.

<...yes.>

<There's no hope.>

<Yuna, I love you. Do what you want.>

When he pushed me away, I saw his watch.

'Collen de Lewiston.'

That was the name on the watch. I didn't know how to read, but for some reason I was able to read that name. While the watch was ticking those few seconds, I saw a lot of memories.

"..."

And then I realized that in my past life I was a terminally ill girl named Yuna.

Where did I get these memories?

Memories hit me like a lightening. It was a strange feeling. At that moment I learnt something amazing.

Am I living in a book?