Chapter 5

Anna and Bates were let in at the back entrance by the under butler, Mr. Barrow. "Welcome back, Mrs. Bates." Mr. Barrow said.
"Thank you. And you are..."
"Mr. Barrow. I'm the under butler here." He said, and they walked past him. Mrs. Hughes greeted them inside.
"It's good to see you again, Mrs. Hughes." Anna said warmly.
"It's good to see you back." Mrs. Hughes replied. Anna and Bates walked into the servants hall and were greeted by Ms. Baxter. She told Anna that she would be glad to help her get back to working as a lady's maid. The place seemed so new to Anna, but she was happy to meet such friendly people. Later Anna went upstairs to see Lady Mary.

"Anna, are you well?" Lady Mary said when Anna came to her.
"Yes, m'lady. I've just been downstairs and everyone has been very friendly."
"If anyone doesn't treat you well, let me know." Lady Mary said with a smile.
"Of course, m'lady. And another lady's maid downstairs said that she'll help me get back to work." Anna said hopefully.
"Yes, I told Baxter to be sure to help you."
"Thank you, m'lady."

Later that evening, it was time for everyone to sleep. Anna felt a bit nervous about heading to the cottage with Bates. She liked him a lot, but she still didn't know him that well. Bates could sense her uneasiness,"Are you alright, Anna?" he asked her with concern.
"Yes, I just hope that you don't expect anything from me. I mean I know we're married, but I still don't know you that well..."
"Of course Anna. There's an extra bedroom you can sleep in."
"Thanks. You're real good to me. I hope you know that." She told him smiling.