Chapter One

Sophie's pov

When I got home, David was still out so I put a meatloaf in the oven and started my homework. When David's not home, I can relax because he's not home to beat me. But, I'm always on my guard, listening for his car to pull into the driveway. When I do hear his car, I put dinner on the table and try to escape to my room. If I'm lucky, he'll forget I exist and not beat me for one night. But, there are times when I'm not lucky and he's eager to hurt me because he had a long day and he blames me. David will usually find some way of blaming me for his day no matter if I have anything to do with it or not. It's like when he blames me for Mom dying. I didn't make that other guy hit her, I didn't make her do anything, and it wasn't my fault. At least that's what I tell myself. It's harder to believe it when I'm alone opposed to when he's telling me that day after day. David does a very good job of making me feel like everything is my fault and I deserve what he does. 

As I was taking the meatloaf out of the oven, I heard a car on the street. I put the meatloaf on the table and looked out of the kitchen window. The same black car was outside, it was sitting in almost the same spot as this morning. In the fading light of the sunset, I could just barely make out a person sitting in the front seat. They seemed to be looking at my house but it could also be a trick of the light. I didn't like the idea of someone watching our house but then again, if someone found out what was going on in our house, they might be able to do something about it. As I was watching out the window, I saw David's truck turn onto the street. I rushed over to the table and put a plate together. I put a piece of meatloaf, a pile of mashed potatoes and gravy, and a pile of peas. I put the plate on the table as well as a fresh beer. When I was done, I rushed as fast as my injured body could, upstairs and into my room. I listened as David came stomping into the house. I waited with baited breath for those awful footsteps on the stairs but they didn't come. It seemed this time, I was safe.

I moved away from the door and got my library book out to read. I was reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It always made me think of when Mom and I would read the series together and right after, we'd have a Harry Potter movie marathon. Starting on Friday and lasting all weekend, we camped out in her room, eating junk food and watching the movies together. It's one of the best memories I have with Mom. She loved the Wizarding World and she always told me that she'd take me to Universal Studios one day to go to Harry Potter World. We never did though because she died before we could go. One day, when I'm free of David, I'll go to Harry Potter World and do all the things Mom said we'd do when we went. It'll be sad to go without her but at least she'll be with me in memory and I'll be doing something she's always wanted to do. I'll go, have a good time, and honor her memory.

I remember when I saw the Annie movie for the first time. Mom let me stay up late to watch the ending with her. I remember how much I loved that movie. After Mom died, I used to pretend that I was an orphan but I would find someone to adopt me. I thought there could be someone out in the world that would want to adopt a kid like me. I wanted someone to save me from my situation and put the broken pieces back together. That part of me still wants to believe that this black car is that someone to save me, but it could also just as easily be nothing. Maybe I'm letting my imagination run away with me. But, it's a nice thought, an escape from this nightmare. I need a way out, it's getting harder and harder to go on day after day. 

I was sitting on my bed when David came and threw my door open. Before I could even blink, he grabbed me. He dragged me up by my hair and dragged me to the stairs. David threw me down the stairs. I tried to stop myself but I felt my arm buckle under me. I hit my head on the stairs and I landed at the bottom. David dragged me up again and he threw me into the coffee table which broke under me. I felt the glass cut into my skin and I screamed when he started punching me. David, then, threw me into the wall and he started stalking over to me with a beer bottle in his hand. The bottle made contact with my forehead, I heard it shatter and felt the pain as the glass imbedded itself in my skin. That was the last thing I saw before the world went dark and I sank into unconsciousness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sophie's pov (two hours later)

A couple of hours later, I woke up on the floor of the living room. David was passed out on the couch. I took inventory of my body and everything hurt. My arms and legs had fresh new bruises and cuts, my chest was aching, and my head was pounding. I knew I needed to take care of my injuries so I gingerly picked myself up off the floor and limped upstairs to my room. I found my first aid kit and put bandages on the new cuts before I shuffled to the bathroom to look at myself. My head had a huge gash in it and I could see dried blood. I lifted my shirt up and saw my whole chest area was bruised. I cleaned the cut on my head and put bandages on it, I then, wrapped more bandages around my chest. 

After I was done, I laid down on my mattress in my room and cried. I cried for my Mom who was gone, I cried for myself as I was in a horrible situation, I cried for the fact that the David that had been a father figure for years was gone and a monster had taken his place. The monster that wears his face, his eyes that used to look at me with such love and care, now filled with hate and rage. Those hands that used to hold me, push me on the swings, and bandage cuts, now hit and punch. He has become a man I don't recognize and who I'm afraid of. My life has never been the same and I'm afraid I will never escape this life of fear and pain.

================================================================================Author's note:

Thanks for reading! See you in the next chapter!!

Lots of love, Starfire