Chapter Seven: A Confession (FINALE)

"LUKE!"

Zander threw his arms around his neck, tears spilling down his face. "YOU'RE ALIVE!"

The rose had worked. It really had. And Luke was here, alive and well. It was as if he had never fallen. His body was warm, and living. Happiness was blooming inside of him like a flower.

Luke blinked, and pulled out of his arms.

"Who are you?"

Zander's felt as if he was riding a rollercoaster, the cart plummeting straight down. The words echoed in his head.

"What?" Hailey stepped forwards. "Don't you... Don't you remember us? I'm Hailey, remember? And Zander?" there was a slight edge of panic to her voice.

Luke looked between the two. "Hailey... Zander?"

Zander looked at him incredulously. No... It couldn't be. Surely not. A small smile tugged at Luke's mouth.

"You're joking," said Zander.

He burst out laughing. "Yeah, I am." he laughed, and Zander felt relief flood over him.

"That was NOT funny!" Hailey groaned. She tried to maintain her disapproving look, but Zander could tell she was just as relieved as he was.

"You should've seen your face," Luke grinned. "I've never seen you so shocked."

"I'll leave you two for now," said Hailey, looking at Zander. "Just let me tackle him after. He deserves it after that 'joke'." she put finger quotes in the air and then left, throwing Zander a sly grin before she closed the door.

The two friends stared at each other for a moment before Luke smiled and reached for his hand. Zander's heart fluttered as he held his hand in his.

"I missed you," he murmured. "You have no idea how it was like when you were gone."

"If I could remember what happened while I was out, I probably would've been thinking of you the whole time," said Luke softly. He pulled Zander down to sit next to him. 

He felt braver now, and pushed the loose clump of hair in Luke's face behind his ear.

"I'm so happy you're alive."

"Me too," chuckled Luke. "I don't know what would have happened if I never got to see your face ever again..."

He looked out the window. His eyes reflected the peaceful sky outside. "How did you even rescue me?"

Zander quickly told him about the Legend of the White Rose and how he had gotten his hands on it.

"I just got it today," he explained. "But for some reason, it disappeared just as you opened your eyes..."

"It must've been because the rose had already done its job," said Luke thoughtfully.

"Well, it doesn't matter now that you're here," said Zander.

Luke faced him, and his smile made Zander's heart melt. "You know that day I fell... I had something to tell you."

"Uh-huh?" Zander tensed in apprehension. Still, excitement was engulfing him. What if Hailey was right? Was Luke about to confess his love?

Luke sighed and looked away shyly. "I just... don't think you'd think the same way."

"What do you mean?" Zander cried. This response clearly surprised Luke, because he turned back to him, eyebrows raised.

"What is it that you want to tell me?" said Zander pleadingly.

"I..." he gulped.

"Luke, we've been best friends ever since kindergarten!" Zander said. "You can tell me anything!"

"Okay, fine!" Luke looked up at him, eyes serious now. "I like you!" he panted, but the weight still wasn't lifted off his shoulders.

"I didn't realize it at first - I thought we were just friends. But just being friends can't describe this feeling of how I always want to be with you - how I never want to let you go. I can't bear seeing you get hurt, and whenever I see you with someone else... Something in my stomach twinges at the sight. 

"For years, I always thought I was just some sort of nuisance to you. I know I'm not that important to you, but I still can't let the feeling go. You're the one - the one I want to be around: the one I love! The only person I ever will love."

He was crying now, tears streaming down his face and tumbling over his scarf.

"I don't know what I'm thinking. I'm just an annoying person to you... I should've never said anything -"

"Luke -"

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" Luke shouted. It was frightening how sudden the mood had changed. At first, Zander had felt like his heart was soaring over the tallest skyscrapers when he heard Luke's confession, but now, it was plummeting.

"I DO!" he yelled. "Luke... That's the same way I feel. I love you too, and that will never change. You've never been a nuisance, I've just been a jerk. And I'll never forgive myself for that. Because it's my fault you fell. I'm the villain here - I convinced you to climb the tree."

Zander gazed into Luke's eyes, and all of the sudden, he leaned forward and kissed him.

Everything around him was slowing down. The bed, the chairs, the walls, had all lost focus and gone blurry. All was lost in a deep ocean... He felt as if he was flying. Luke was kissing him back, soft lips pressing against his.

Tears were flowing down his face - but this time, they were tears of joy. This feeling that couldn't be described in words. He was so incredibly happy that Luke was alive... And here he was, kissing him. His hair smelled like a fresh breeze over a salty sea, reminding Zander of the beach.

They broke apart at the exact right time, but stayed in their hugging position.

"Promise me," Zander whispered. "Promise you'll never leave me again."

Luke buried his head into Zander's shoulder.

"Promise." 

A/N: Heya, guys. It's the last chapter! And I'm so happy to be done and finished with this fanfic because I've honestly lost interest in it, which is why my writing hasn't been the best lately. 

However, I have a lot of ideas for my next fanfic, so I hope you stick around for that! Thank you so much for reading Falling Hard, and I hope you liked it!