Chapter 4 | Off |

Emma wakes up with the blinding sunlight beaming through the large, still new, glass windows in Roman's living room. She's buried into the corner of his sofa with Roman's legs stretching out across her legs. The top of her dress hooks awkwardly around her torso as if she had attempted to take it off without unzipping it. Her body is sticky from drying sweat. She hadn't had a nightmare in quite some time, but seeing Olivia yesterday must have triggered a reaction.

There's a blank in her memory from the night before, she's only vaguely able to recall stumbling back to Roman's car. Her memory ends there and picks up with her dream. It had been so realistic that when she woke she had to assure herself it hadn't been real. She wants to ask Roman about it but is too ashamed of it.

They were at the mansion for his birthday. They were young and she could almost taste the vanilla and raspberry cake the cook had made. That was real, Emma knows that. They always had that cake for Roman's birthday.

After that is when things get fucked.

She knows something is not right but can't fully bring the feeling to a head. It's a dull feeling in her gut that what is happening is wrong.

"Mr. Godfrey," Anna says stoically, silent as she had approached. "Destiny Rumancek has been calling for you."

"Calling?" He yawns

"She's at the front door now." Roman lets out an animalistic and whiney groan.

"Let her in."

"Good morning..." She glances between the two of them. "Lovebirds. You look great."

"Fuck you," Roman says.

"Anyways," Destiny clicks her tongue. "Is Peter here?"

"No, he didn't come back with us," Emma answers. "Why?"

"Honestly you three are so stupid that you would lose your heads if they weren't attached to your body."

"Just say what it is," Roman says unenthused in his hungover state.

"We're reliving your and Peter's first date." Destiny smirks and crosses her arms. Roman doesn't react in the way she had expected him to- defensive and flustered- he just has no idea what she's referencing. "We're grave robbing. I missed out on the fun the first time."

"In my defense," Emma says before standing. "I didn't know about this. And also, it wasn't fun."

"I didn't think you'd want to go," Roman explains with a small shrug.

"You're right, I don't." Emma's voice croaks through its dryness. Destiny follows her to the kitchen, leaving Roman behind in the living room. Emma opens the fridge door and, without a second thought, moves past the bottles of filled with an opaque red liquid. It rarely registers with her anymore. She drinks straight from a bottle of orange juice and wipes her mouth after. "Who's?"

"Huh?" Destiny asks, she's intrigued by the bottles in the fridge. Emma shuts the door quickly before she can look much more. It's not the contents of the bottle so much as the remainder of it. It's only weird when other people point out how weird it is.

"Who's grave?"

"Madelaine Tran." Emma recognizes the name despite having only read it that one time. It's surprising to her that they hadn't already done this. It was one of the first things they did last time. She stops herself. There wouldn't be a last time because it was the only time. A 'last time' implies there will be more.

Without a single word, Destiny can see the protest on Emma's face. "I'm not sure that the vargulf is back... But it's better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully, it's nothing."