Chapter 6 | Anywhere |

In the morning, Emma's hand has a dull pain and a pulse. She sits up and takes a big stretch. Despite the heavy dreams, she feels rested. On her bedside table, she sees on the clock that it's only 8:00 AM. It's earlier than she's been up in months, yet there's no headache or general malaise. She just feels good.

Peter's already in the living room eating a bowl of cereal. He has to be at work in an hour and intends to soak up everyone of those moments. Being a full time 'can I crash at your place' kind of guy had been rather generous on his savings account. Roman's in the kitchen having one of his special drinks.

They had both just gotten back from Destiny's apartment. Roman had watched first hand that morning what exactly Destiny could do. Over the past two years he had seen her do some weird shit but this was on a new level. All he could do was stand back as her body convulsed and her face took on the vague features of Madeline Tran's corpse.

Roman's head jerks up and he makes a bee-line towards her. He grabs her injured hand and raises it up to examine it. "What happened to your hand?" He pushes the poorly wrapped cotton aside.

"I cut it yesterday while making a snack."

"What kind of snack?"

"A sandwich," she thinks quickly. "I accidentally grabbed the wrong end." Roman looks at her skeptically. "Okay, I was a little drunk."

"It's a good thing you didn't need stitches." Roman lets go of her hand.

"Luckily, I know a guy who owns a hospital." He chuckles quietly. "How did everything go?"
Roman and Peter lock eyes at her question.

"Not great," Peter says with a deep breath.

"There's no way to be sure until one of us see's it-" Roman tries to think positively.

"But all signs point towards it," Peter counters, not wanting to have a false hope. "Whatever animal it was had white fur and unless a polar bear escaped from a zoo-"

"The vargulf is back," Emma says, tired of them dragging it out. "We can't worry about that right now."

"We can't worry?" Peter asks. "Em, it's going to kill people!"

"Nadia has to be your first priority," she reminds him. "You two worry about Nadia." She moves past Roman and to the kitchen. He follows behind her.

"You know we can't ignore this." Roman leans on the counter. His eyes follow her as she searches through cabinets for something to eat. "Not for long, anyways."

"Listen." She leans back on the counter. "Every day she's gone she's less likely to come back. You know that. You have to pick your battles, Roman. You can't do it all."

"I don't understand how you can stay so relaxed about this."

"I'm not relaxed. I haven't been relaxed in two years."

"You realize the danger you're in, don't you?"

"I'm picking my battles," she quips.

"Regardless, from now on you're leaving when the full moon comes."

"And going where?" She scoffs. As if she's going to let him ship her off somewhere once a month for the remainder of her life.

"Anywhere," Roman says and walks out of the kitchen. "I have to go to work. This isn't a debate," he tells her.

"Roman Godfrey," she calls out and comes towards him. "I am a grown woman and I will not be ordered around like-" He walks out the door and slams it behind him. "A dog..." She mumbles.