The Human on the High Castle

The most beautiful gift to receive is the feeling of someone you care about spending time on something (anything) to make you happy.

It doesn't matter what you do, it could be anything that would possibly make you happy. Just the thought alone, thinking of ways to make someone happy, is beautiful. It shows that you care about the person and try your best.

Take a cake for example. It sure is nice if it is edible at least, yet the fact that I received a cake is already what defines most of my happiness. Especially if the one you receive it from either doesn't bake at all and doesn't know how to bake or didn't bake in a while, even if he/she loves to bake. I am either happy that someone tried his best to make me happy or did his best while being happy him-/herself. Maybe even both. In the most ideal outcome, he spent love, time and happiness making something for me and I am glad to be eating the cake with the person that made it, which would make the giver double happy. Happy in the process and in the moment of truth.

The point is: do things with love, spend your time on them and be happy while doing something thinking of the person you are going to give the present to. This is the art of giving more than getting and still being over the moon happy.

This is why I love giving: it is a fun challenge or sometimes even pretty easy to me. Yet, the happy reaction in a person to the present always makes it more than worth the effort. I always feel better giving. It makes me realize how precious the person I give a present to is to me and I am so grateful that they are a part of my life. I love their happiness so incredibly much.

Thank you for being there for me.

*****

Fun fact: I wrote this piece on my 18th birthday more than seven months ago xD