Chapter Seven: Inn

Yoshiko sat with the love pillar as they ate together for breakfast. The restaurant was quiet since it was early in the morning. Yoshiko did stayed up till the next day so she bothered Mitsuri in order to have food together. Mitsuri, being the lovable girl she was, couldn't resist the adorable girl in front of her and obliged.

After the breakfast was over, Yoshiko crow came over to her and spoke.

"Yoshiko-dono! Go! Go! Go northeast! Demon! Demon! Help!"

Yoshiko nodded and turned to look at Misturi. She bowed to her and left. She watch her crow as he was guiding her to the destination. Even though going on the train would probably be faster, she didn't really wanted to go after his death. So, they traveled through the smalls roads of Japan to reach her destination. The sun was quickly setting and Yoshiko didn't want to danger herself by going out in the night. Luckily, she knew that there was a small village nearby and decided to find a place to rest there. She stopped when she saw the village in sight and hid her sword so it wouldn't draw any suspicion towards her.

Once she had arrived, she looked around the place to find an inn. Luck was by her side since he quickly found one and entered the place. The lady, who seemed to run the place, looked over and saw a girl walking up to her.

"Where are your parents young girl?" the lady asked.

Yoshiko looked at her and shook her head and pulled out money, "One room, one night please. Is there a place where I can take a bath?"

The lady eyes widen when she took a closer look at the girl. She gasped once she realized she didn't answer her question, "Ah, yes. There is an outdoor bathing place. I'm sure you'll enjoy it."

The lady took the money from Yoshiko's hand and guided her to an empty room. As Yoshiko was following the lady, she notice a little girl watching her. She was a lot younger than Yoshiko and thought that she must've been with another family staying here. Once the lady stopped and opened the door for her, Yoshiko bowed in respect, and then entered in. She looked around the room and saw how the place was bare, with little to no details, only a decorative scroll on the wall. She set her sword down and placed her black and white haori on top of it. She stared at it, remembering how the hashiras said that it reminded them of Iguro's haori since the color scheme was the same but Yoshiko had dots that fades into black going down. She smiled at the find memory and stroked her doll. Yoshiko looked out at the window she had and decided that she wanted to take a bath. She placed her doll on top of her haori and walked out of the room with her evening wear, going to the bathing area.

Once she had arrived, she found a place where she can put her clothes in. Taking off her demon slayer uniform, she looked down on her abdomen where there was a large scar that looked like sparks on her. Thoughts filled up her mind and remembered the incident that taunts her head. Her fingers grazed the scar with a pained expression and sighed. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths before heading to the bathing area. She entered the room, expected to be alone but saw the same girl earlier scrubbing her body. The little girl looked over at her and then continued to do her own business. Yoshiko didn't want to bother her sat far from her and started to wash her hair. Yoshiko felt eyes on her so she peek over at the little girl staring at her. The little girl eyes connected with Yoshiko's and turned her face away. Yoshiko stared at her confused, but she continued to do her own business.

Yoshiko was finally done with washing her body and she sank herself into the water near it. Her body relaxed as the warmth of the water engulfed her as she let out a deep sigh. She closed her eyes, feeling the bliss of the water. Soon after, she heard a few splashes and felt the water ripples. Yoshiko opened her eyes and saw the little girl staring at her. Yoshiko decided to break the silence.

"May I help you?"

"Huh!?" the little girl jolted in suprised. She didn't expect Yoshiko to walk to her.

"You've been staring at me for a while."

The little girl fidgeted her fingers and spoke, "Are you someone that my mom knows?"

Yoshiko tiled her head, "Your mom?"

The girl nodded, "Yeah my mom. The person that showed you your room."

Yoshiko pondered for a moment and spoke, "No, I don't think so."

The little girl suddenly stood up, "That's a lie! There's no way mom would be acting like that if she hadn't met you!"

Yoshiko sighed at the girl and walked out of the water, "Like I said, I don't think I remember her. She does probably know me but I don't. Ask your mom if you want to know."

Yoshiko walked to her clothes and grabbed them. She saw the evening wear she brought and put it on. Yoshiko glanced back at the bathing area since didn't want to see that girl coming out of the bath just to talk to her. She got out of the changing area and walked to her designated room. When she finally entered her room, she grabbed her doll and sat on the futon already prepared for her. She started to caress the doll's hair and hummed a tune her mother would used to sing until she head a knock at the door. Yoshiko stood up and opened the door, seeing the same little girl holding a tray of food.

"Here's your dinner."

Yoshiko blinked a few times before thanking the girl and grabbed the food. Yoshiko was about to close the door until the girl stopped it. Yoshiko looked at her confused and sighed in annoyance.

"What do you want now?"

The girl gulped at Yoshiko's attitude and stuttered, "Let me come in too."

Yoshiko pursed her lips, looked at her room, and let the girl in. Yoshiko placed the food down began to eat while the little girl stared at her.

"Hey."

The girl did not get any response.

"Heeyyy."

Yoshiko smacked her chopsticks on the tray and glared at the girl. The girl flinched and trembled under he gaze.

"I... I want to know your name."

"Yoshiko."

"Huh? No last name?"

Yoshiko's eyes flashed with sadness before speaking, "I do. I just prefer not to say."

"O-Oh, right sorry," The girl took a deep breath and spoke again, "I'm Mako. Nice to meet you." Yoshiko nodded and stood up, surprising the girl, "Where are you going? You didn't finish your food!"

"I'm going to sleep. You can take the tray away once you leave. Also, I'm not hungry anymore."

Mako glared at Yoshiko, grabbed a handful of food, and threw it at Yoshiko. Yoshiko felt the food on her hair, face, and clothes and turned to stare at the girl. Mako flinched and ran out of the room, forgetting to take the tray with her. Yoshiko sighed and kneeled down, picking up the leftover food that fell onto the ground. After that, she placed it back in the bowl and started to wipe off the food from her body and clothes. Once she put it back in the bowl, Yoshiko placed the tray outside of her room. She didn't bothered taking another shower since she felt like it would've been a waste of time.

She placed herself in bed, holding her doll and sighed. She couldn't wait to get out of the inn so she wouldn't face the little girl again. She slowly closed her eyes and went to sleep.