Chapter Eighteen

“Tori Vega, wake up right now!” Tori opened her eyes, sunlight streaming through her curtains, disorientating her slightly. The smell of bacon and eggs wafted from downstairs and her stomach growled. Groaning, she sat up in bed and stretched. “Tori!”

Tori rolled her eyes. It was one of those rare moments where her mother was actually home, but by the sounds of things, she wasn’t happy. That didn’t particularly surprise her.

The brunette got up, got changed, grabbed her phone and texted her new girlfriend (Tori still couldn’t believe it) good morning and hurried downstairs, stuffing the phone into her pocket where she would be able to feel it vibrate. A week ago today, Tori and Jade had kissed and she still ran that moment in her mind, feeling butterflies and warm pleasure curl in her belly every time. Her dreams were coming true. Jade wanted her back. Jade wanted her.

It was a miracle. It was incredible.

“You’re incredibly lazy, you know that?”

And there goes my morning, Tori thought bitterly as she stared at her mother in the kitchen. The woman wasn’t even looking at her, crouched over the sizzling pan where the wonderful smell was coming from. Tori saw with slight disappointment, that she looked like she was heading out once again. The older brunette was wearing black high heels, a short pencil skirt and a tight fitting, white blouse. She was either going for a job interview or on a date. Tori hardly thought the former was true.

Then where the hell is dad?

“I’m not lazy,” Tori replied as calmly as she could muster. “It’s only nine in the morning on a Saturday.”

Her mother turned around with a frown.

“Don’t talk back to me, Tori! Show some damn respect. You don’t see Trina mouthing off to me like that.”

Tori’s nostrils flared and she bit her lip from retorting, knowing that that would only make things worse.

“That’s because Trina is almost never here,” she muttered and sat down at the kitchen table, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

“Speaking of your sister, where is she?”

Tori rolled her eyes.

“Mum, she’d be in bed, like all normal teenagers on the weekend.”

“Trina!” the woman shrieked and Tori winced at how high pitched her voice was. Thankfully, she felt her phone buzz against her thigh and took it out.

Good morning, Tori Vega. Why are you up so damn early?

Tori smiled as she replied back.

My charming mother is actually here for once. Can’t say I wish she was. She woke me up by screaming my name and then when I went to see what was wrong, she just proceeded to insult me. Like usual.

Five seconds later and there was a reply.

I wish I could sock her one. Your mother is vile, Vega. Do you want me to come pick you up?

“Who are you texting twenty-four seven?” Tori’s head snapped up at her mother.

“It’s just Jade,” she replied warily.

“That awful Goth girl?” she sneered, disgust lacing her words. Immediate anger boiled inside of Tori, so searing and menacing that her vision turned red for a moment. Her phone vibrated again from Jade but she was so fixated on her awful mother, that she couldn’t bring herself to reply.

Trina chose that moment to make an appearance, hair ruffled and a yawn in her voice, “What’s up-” The eldest Vega sister saw the tense situation in the kitchen and frowned, walking in and standing behind Tori’s chair, almost protectively.