Chapter 2 - Seattle, Washington

Sofi's truck was pulled up outside a gas station. The grey clouds covered the sun had blown over now letting it shine down onto the gravel. Despite this however, it was still quite chilly. Dani was leaning against the door, hands in his pockets. The grey clouds covered the sun had blown over now letting it shine down onto the gravel. Despite this however, it was still quite chilly. rubbing against each other to provide some sort of warmth. Sofi had gone inside to pay and also to change into some warmer clothes, it was just after winter break so it could get especially cold. The two had a plan of going to get Dani some warmer clothes after breakfast, most likely Starbucks.

Sofi strode out of the shop, smiling and sipping from a cup.

'Well you look happy.' Daniel smirked. 'What happen? You break the cashier's leg or something?'

Sofi rolled her eyes and handed him a takeaway cup. 'I'm happy because I'm not shivering, and I managed to convince that guy to let me have a shower.' She wiggled her eyebrows, opening the drivers' side door.

Dani clutched his chest in fake hurt. 'Ouch. New clothes and a shower, how you wound me?' He walked around the front of the truck and slipped into the passenger's seat.

Both of their phones were shoved below the radio as well as, Daniel had been punched in the arm when he'd laughed at this, Sofi's glasses. It turns out she'd been wearing the only pair of contacts she had and wanted to give her eyes a break.

'Let's just get going, sasquatch. I'm craving a bacon sandwich and you are the one stopping me from getting it.' She groaned, sliding on her glasses.

Sofi had changed into a long sleeve t-shirt that had been stretched so it was now partially covering her palms, leggings, and a hoodie a one size too big. Her hair was in tiny, braided pigtails still wet.

The two drove off, back onto the road. They'd argued over the map not long before pulling over and decided they'd double back to pick up some of Daniel's things as well as some supplies for the journey. Unfortunately, that meant they might run into some people they knew which would bring up some unwanted questions. Eventually the two had agreed on parking out of sight and Daniel sneaking back into his apartment while Sofi waited in the truck.

'Right, remember. In and out. We're running away and people will ask annoying questions so just keep your head down.' Sofi raised her eyebrows at Daniel as she turned off one road onto another.

A second passed before Daniel turned to look at Sofi, grinning from ear to ear.

'Are you worried about me?' Sofi choked on her coffee, coughing.

'What? No! I just don't want anyone tracing this back to me, fuckface.' She started mumbling curses under her breath, shoulder's hunched.

It wasn't long before Daniel was telling Sofi to pull over. He tripped while getting out of the car, much to Sofi's amusement, and gave her a small wave before disappearing from view up a fire escape. Sofi leaned back in her seat, finally letting herself breathe.

Everything hit her at once. A crash waking her up in the middle of the night followed by screaming. Her sprinting down the hall to the stairs and seeing...something holding her younger brother by the throat, inches of the floorboards. The crack and her brother suddenly going limp in its grip. Her yelling in shock as it dropped him, his body falling like a marionette with cut strings. The creature stalking over to her mother, who despite having tears streaming down her cheeks held the shotgun still. Her father spotting her and gasping at her to grab the packed backpack under her bed, get in the truck and just drive. Her father getting cut off by the creature slamming its hand through his chest. Blood pooling around the hole it had created in her father's ribcage. It turning to her mother next. Her spinning on the spot, practically flying back to her room. Her hands shaking but still managing to grab her beloved backpack from underneath her bed. Her slipping it on and lifting the window open, not before locking her door behind her. Her breath showing in the night. Sounds of a fight drifting up from the kitchen. Gunshots echoing. Her slamming the window shut and frantically climbing down to the ground. Getting blown off her feet by the force of an explosion. Heat licking at her back. Rolling down the hill then slowing to a stop. Turning around to see flames engulfing her home. Pushing herself onto her feet and then to the truck. Cursing as she fumbled to turn on the engine. Slamming the gas as soon as the car roared to life. Sobbing as the sound of fire slowly faded away.

A tap on the shoulder drew Sofi from her memories. She grabbed the person's hand, wasting no time in judo flipping them. She got ready to break their hand when...their eyes...Daniel!

'Dani!' Sofi immediately let go and stood up, eyes wide. Her friend was groaning on the damp tarmac, holding his wrist. He had been holding bags, judging from a few not too far from where they were. 'Dani, are you ok?'

He cursed under his breath, shaking out his wrist. Daniel looked up to see Sofi holding her hand out to him. He took it, groaning as he stood up.

'For someone nearly a foot shorter than me, you sure pack a punch.' He noticed Sofi clutching a dropped bag with a horribly guilty look on her face.

'I'm so sorry Dani-' She went to carry on, but he cut her off with a point.

'It's alright, shorty. You were zoned out, thought you were getting jumped and acted on instinct.' Dani straightened out his shirt and brushed himself down. Instead of the old t-shirt and sweatpants he had been wearing, there was now a new red flannel shirt over a black band shirt and jeans. His hair looked slightly damp as well. Daniel must've noted Sofi's confusion because he sighed. 'Abby wasn't home. Thought I'd take a quick shower while I was there.'

Sofi nodded slightly, 'You get anything other than your things? Food for example.' A stomach grumble emphasised her question. With a slight smile, Dani leaned down and grabbed a tub out of one of the bags.

'Homemade. We had some in the fridge.' He held it out to her. The tub had some condensation on it, but Sofi ignored it, peeling off the lid. Inside was a portion of spaghetti and meatballs. He smirked, revealing a small fork in his other hand. 'Figured it's better than nothing.'

Sofi gave Daniel a soft smile, sticking the fork in and then punching him in the arm. He laughed, rubbing where she'd hit.

'What was that for?' He threw his arms in the air, chuckling.

'That's how I show affection.'

However it wasn't long before something threw Sofi back into her memories. All it took the distant smell of smoke and the sound of a crackling fire.

She's there. Smoke burns her eyes and lungs. Searing heat licks the sides of her face. Flames illuminate the night, reflecting in her eyes. Her families screams and roaring fire are the only things that can be heard.

'Mom!' She runs towards the burning wreck of her home, shielding her face. 'Mom! Dad! Mikey! Liv!' Flaming beams fell from the ceiling, calling her name as opposed to landing with a thud. The fire clears in places, instead sidewalk in its place. Smoke and charring wood giving way to ginger with waves of coffee.

Slowly, drifting away, heat no longer burning...flames no longer to bright to look at without seeing spots...the screams muffled. Sofi's vision eventually cleared, and she came back to her senses.

'Hey hey...it's ok. I'm here. I'm here. You're safe.' Daniel was directly in front of her, eyes staring into her own. There was an almost perfect circle of raw skin on his cheekbone, with what looked like a bruise forming. His hands cupped her face, gently stroking her skin in an attempt to soothe her.

'You're ok.' He blinked, eyebrows furrowed. 'You're safe, Sofi. Nobody's going to hurt you...not without getting through me first.'

With a sob, Sofi buried her face in Daniel's chest and clutched at his shirt. His hands moved to stroking her hair, holding her close. Sofi's shoulders wracked with the intensity of her emotions.

He adjusted her in his arms and, with a small struggle, lifted her up. Sofi was in no fit condition to drive so Daniel slipped the keys from her pocket. His mind was conflicted as he gently placed her in the passengers seat. Should he kiss her forehead? She might slap him.

'Screw it.' Daniel mumbled before pressing a kiss to Sofi's hairline, brushing the stray strands of hair out of her face. Sofi held her breath, eyes wide and red. Her cheeks slowly turned a bright scarlet. After a moment, he pulled away and pushed the door closed. He jogged around to the various backpacks he'd grabbed from the apartment.

Dani was in the middle of packing them in the back seats when he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. His stomach churned as he spun around. This feeling was familiar. Someone was watching them. Nobody else was in the alley though...nobody visible at least. Feeling cold all of a sudden, Dani shoves the rest of the bags in and ran to the front, sliding into the drivers seat.

'We need to go. Now.' The engine roared to life and he slammed the acceleration. They tore out the alley, Dani turning the wheel with expertise despite this being the first time he'd driven.