Chapter 3 - Outside Seattle, Washington

'Who the fuck are these guys?!' Sofie yelled, both of them had ducked their heads when one of this pursuers had fired a ball of light at them. It had narrowly missed the truck and sent small pieces of tarmac flying at them.

'Hell if I know!' Dami screamed back. He was desperately trying to lose them while also making sure they weren't killed.

Another ball of light went screeching towards them. This time the very edge hit Sofie's door. Cursing, Sofie raised her arms to protect her face. Glass shattered inwards, cutting her arms, and revealing the skin underneath her shirt. The truck lurched from the impact, swerving.

Their pursuers were driving an unmarked black car. One of them had dark skin with bright white hair, seemingly the leader. The driver was a tanned ginger man with a slight stubble. Ball thrower, as Sofie has yelled, was a girl around their age. She was the scariest. Navy blue hair in curls and almost pitch-black eyes. Her skin was a dark tan although it seemed to spark whenever she conjured the balls of light.

'Alright. That's it! I'm pissed now!' Sofie growled. She then turned to Dani. 'Get us off the road and somewhere quiet.' He nodded, increasing his speed.

The truck zoomed and swerved through roads until they reached the edge of a forest.

'Stop!' Sofie suddenly yelled.

'What?!'

'I said stop the car!'

Daniel cocked his head before slamming the brakes. The truck ended up at an angle facing the people chasing them. They took a second to breathe before the black car rolled to a stop in front of them. Sofie clenched her jaw and stepped out the car. It could've been the sun but for a second her hair was down to her waist and her clothes were replaced with a dark dress. As quickly as it had been seen, the image was gone revealing Sofie.

'Angels.' Daniel heard her sigh as he too got out of the car. She'd crossed her arms and cocked her hips to one side.

'Sofie, what the hell are you doing?' Dani hissed, grabbed her elbow.

'Nephilim. What are you doing with this,' The leader sneered at Sofie. 'Abomination.' She held her head high.

Dani's spine tingled and he found himself taking a step forward, head high. 'Don't forget, Hiraim. That abomination is stronger than you.'

Sofie smirked at that, narrowing her eyes at Hiraim.

'A demon possessed my foster parent, Abby. I subdued her and killed the demon. I ran straight into Sofie.' Dani looked over his shoulder at her. 'The memory walls are fading. You know what this means.'

All of them nodded. 'Gillian. But we do not need a Cambion to finish him. You alone can kill him.' Hiraim stepped forward but Sofie held up a clenched fist, causing the white-headed woman to gasp and clutch at her throat.

'Kali. Enough.' Daniel glared at her. Sofie rolled her eyes and unclenched her first. Hiraim stopped choking and dusted herself off.

'Nephilim. We have orders to kill this demon hybrid. If you get in the way, we will be forced to kill you too.' A gold blade materialised in her hand.

Daniel nearly groaned. He did not want to deal with Angels this early. Instead, he turned to Sofie and gave her a nod. He knew she'd finish them off. They couldn't have Angels on their tail. Especially ones that wanted to kill them.

'With pleasure, K.' Sofie raised her arms to her chest in a 'x' shape before slamming them down to her sides. The sickening snap of necks echoed through the trees, followed by three thuds.

Both of them blinked a few times, groaning. Their heads were pounding.

'What the...how-who?' Sofie pointed at the three corpses lying on the ground. 'I did that! How did I do that? Dani, how did I do that?!'

Daniel was just as shocked as she was. He remembered a slight ringing in his ears before...something changed. All of a sudden, he'd known who those people were and why Abby had attacked him. They'd called him a Nephilim...and he'd responded to it. What the hell was going on?

'L-Let's just uh...let's just go. We need to get away from Seattle anyways...it'll uh. It'll be ok.' Dani gave Sofie a small smile before guiding her back to the truck. She went to protest when he slid behind the steering wheel but quickly bit her tongue.

'Yeah...yeah,' Sofie buckled her seatbelt and ran her hands over her face. 'Jesus Christ!'

The two of them sat for a moment, trying to wrap their minds around the last few minutes. Sofie was staring at her hands, shaking slightly. She was paler than usual, the few freckles on her face more evident. Her green eyes were wide, shining with unshed tears. Blood was trickling down her arm from cuts, fabric torn from glass.

'We need to get out of here.' Dani muttered, trying to pull himself together. He turned the car keys and the engine spluttered to life. He pulled away from the clearing, taking them back onto the main road.

Hours passed and neither of them said a thing, barely looking at each other. Night fell, the moon rising over the sky, and fatigue took over. After a small argument, the two of them decided on stopping at a small diner for food and then getting a room in a motel for the night.

Sofie had just finished a shower and had gotten dressed into some pyjamas, drying her hair with a towel. Despite only having being on the road for 2 days, her hair had grown a good 3 inches and was now reaching her collarbone. It was starting to curl as it dried, making small ringlets.

'You ever wonder how all this happened? I mean...we're two runaways who have no idea why they keep getting these memories or why "angels" are coming after us?' She ranted, throwing the towel onto the bed.

Due to the motel being extremely busy that night, Dani and Sofie ended up in a room with only one bed. They'd argued about it for over an hour but ended up deciding to just grow up and sleep in the same bed. They'd already slept in the Sofie's car together, how could a bed be any different?

'I-I don't know, sugar.' Dani flopped backwards onto the bed, sprawling out. The nickname had slipped out, completely going over both of their heads.

'I just hate not knowing.' Sofie pouted, crossing her arms. She perched on the side of the bed, looking smaller than she already was.

'Hey hey hey... we'll figure it out, ok? I'm not leaving you in the middle of this mess.' Dani sat up and shuffled towards her. 'You can't push me away.' Instinctively, he wrapped an arm around Sofie's shoulder and pulled her close.

She looked up at him, eyes slightly wide and glistening with unshed tears. Sofie leaned into his touch, almost nuzzling into him like a cat.

'You better not, asshole.' She smiled slightly. She hesitated before moving his hand to hers, blushing.

Dani gave her a confused look, interlacing their hands and squeezing hers for a second. They stayed like that for a while, just supporting each other.

'I am never going to say goodbye. Never.' Dani sighed, running his hands through her damp hair.