three

mark's second day of his new school just finished and he's been keeping himself quiet for the whole day now. 

 surprisingly, no one bothered him at school today but that doesn't stop the other students from giving their usual looks at the orphans. mark could get used to this, actually.

 he's been keeping his distance from donghyuck as well.  the boy became an enigma to mark, he was weird, different from others and he can't tell if it's in a good way or bad way. he noticed almost all of his actions, how happy he always looks like but also quiet and doesn't usually engage himself in their conversations. what he said the day before, mark had a bad feeling about it.

 moving on from the very mysterious donghyuck, mark has a bigger problem in front of him. 

the past nights, he's been having trouble sleeping. it's always been like that actually but it's just so annoying for him because jisung snores way too loudly when sleeping. mark was trying to figure out a way for the entire day and he finally came up with a solution. he doesn't think it'll be that hard trying to sneak out but he's still new to the orphanage and he doesn't know how everything works there yet so he's thinking of some precautionary methods to use in case of some unwanted turn of events.

 "boo!" mark almost jumped from walking, he looked to his side to see donghyuck smiling at him. "what are you thinking about?"

 how to get out of here, he thought. mark was still trying to steer clear out of donghyuck's site because he finds him the most puzzling among his roommates but it seems like there's no hiding now. "nothing." he said blankly, hoping it would make donghyuck go away but he continued looking at mark so he could spill the answer and mark wasn't getting any of it. "nothing i swear, just go." he stated, almost sounding annoyed and it seemed to work because donghyuck stopped looking at him, faltered a little and move a few steps away from mark.

 mark just clicked his tongue in annoyance. he doesn't mean to hurt anyone here but he doesn't like it when people pry onto his private life like that. it's none of their business what he wants to do with his life and he doesn't really care about what they think.

 it was a good thing that mark and donghyuck were walking behind so no one really heard mark snapping at donghyuck. 

 when they reached the orphanage, he noticed lots of adults and a few teens around, apparently, as jaemin said, it's 'help a heart-thursday' which couldn't stop mark from cringing. mark noticed chenle running towards a middle-aged couple which he figured must be his soon-to-be foster parents. they seem to like chenle a lot. good for him, he thought.

 inside the lounge room, some volunteers were singing on a karaoke while the other orphans dance. mark was practically cringing, they're treating them like they're in an elderly center. mark doesn't really want to do anything that connects to this mess so while all of his other roommates went down to have fun, he stayed on his bed and listen to some songs on his worn-out ipod.

 "you're not coming down?" renjun asked, he was the last to go downstairs. renjun had a poker face and doesn't seem to enjoy giving mark some accompany and mark doesn't really care. 

 "i don't plan to." mark answered plainly.

 "you know, you're really rude." renjun fired, still with the same poker face but it was clear as day to mark that renjun doesn't like him.

 "well you seem really really nice to me." mark said and renjun was annoyed by the sarcasm in his words, nothing about this mark guy was sitting right with him.

 he heard renjun scoff, "oh?" he said, closing the door behind him. "you should know how much i don't like you." 

 "and you think i don't?" mark said, trying to annoy renjun more. he honestly doesn't even know why he's having such beef with renjun and he doesn't care because right now, mark just wants him to leave. "just get out and go to your goddamned charity event." he said, mark isn't about to have renjun just talk to him like that. in addition to that, he has plans this evening to stress about and he doesn't want anyone to pest him at the moment.

 mark didn't noticed it but what he said made renjun mad. it was not about the 'charity event' thing at all, it was because of the way mark said it. like he wasn't a part of it. he said it like he, himself isn't an orphan and it made renjun realize just how much mark looks down on them. "the fuck did you say?" he said in gritted teeth, by the time renjun was walking towards him, mark had decided to stand up and they squared off, exchanging insults.

 by the time renjun was so close to throwing his fist onto mark's face, the very lively na jaemin entered the room with a ladle on his hand. his enthusiastic smile immediately wore off and pushed the two away from each other but their angered gazes never left their eyes. 

 "what are you two doing?!" jaemin shouted at them, going back at the door to close it so the other kids won't hear it. "there are kids running around and you plan to go on disturbing what's happening downstairs? come on you two, it's such a nice day after school, let's just cool off and enjoy it." jaemin said, he looked stressed but nonetheless, he was trying to get the two from fighting. "come on, say sorry to each other."

 like hell, i'd do that, mark thought.

 it was quiet for a few seconds but it felt very long for the three of them. renjun and mark were separated already but they were still looking at each other in distaste. this made jaemin sigh, he was working hard in the kitchen as soon as he got downstairs but here are these idiots squaring off.

 "just— just go down you two, okay? let's go, let's go." jaemin said trying to pull mark and renjun with him outside but mark pulled his arm away from his grip and looked at them in annoyance.

 "i'll stay here." 

 the look that mark has on his face definitely made jaemin sad but he can't stress this enough, he just focused on getting out there but renjun has something to say.

 "yeah and i'll go to my charity event." renjun sarcastically said that made jaemin stop.

 "what?"

 "oh my bad," renjun said, faking a gush. "it's our charity event." he added, rolling his eyes after and finally walking out. of course it made jaemin very confused but he decided to shook it off because it's bustling downstairs and he didn't want to add any more fuel to the fire.

jaemin sighed, he couldn't believe that this is happening now. it's completely natural among orphans who recently just joined them but it wasn't really the time to be fighting. plus, jaemin had to look good in front of the guests if he wants to live a better life.

the pink-haired boy walked towards the door, looking back at mark who was busy tinkering with his uniforms' safety pin. "hey, come downstairs when you get hungry, there's lots of food." Jaemin said but mark completely ignored him so he just sighed then closed the door and went back to the kitchen to help with the cooking.

note: okay first of all, no, mark doesn't look like that in the story lmao it's just for the vibes hehe

anyways i've been really stressed with online classes lately and when i finally had a break earlier, i just found myself writing this. i still couldn't get over the accusations thrown at jungwoo and taeyong that happened the other day. i was heartbroken and i feel like i'm still recovering despite it being some false news. i know no one's probably reading this but i hope everyone is doing fine, let's not let the haters get to us. lots of love <3