chapter two

Solana let out a sigh of relief as the door closed behind her with a soft click. The knot in her stomach slowly unravelled as her nerves settled, and she waited for her heart to stop pounding in her chest. She rested her head against the flimsy piece of wood. It was now the only thing that separated her from the dangers of the outside world. Her muscles soon relaxed as the adrenaline drained from her body.

Solana was home.

With only three rooms, the small house often became cramped. She often found herself growing restless with the lack of space, especially as it was shared between three of them. They still considered themselves lucky to have any space at all, considering that new housing rarely became available, and the competition for them was often fierce. 

Solana was standing in the front room, where she spent time with her family. Her mother's worn armchair took up one corner, the faded green of the fabric brightening up the otherwise dull room. While her mother would sit in her armchair knitting, Solana and her sister would sit together and listen to the tales that their mother would weave. As she had grown older, such occasions became more infrequent, and she sometimes wished that she could go back to the innocence of youth.

Compared to the extravagant life of indulgence that Solana had just been able to get a glimpse of, it wasn't much. She was still thankful for it, she reflected, her lips curving up into a wistful smile. She would never trade in her family for a life of parties and ballgowns. However, it never hurt to immerse herself in that world every once in a while.

As if Solana's thoughts had summoned her, a girl appeared in the doorway. She was clutching a tattered stuffed bear to her chest, her arms wrapped tightly around herself as she stared at Solana with wide eyes.

"Mahina Rose, are you still carrying around that old thing?" Solana teased, her worries slipping out of her grasp as her sister appeared.

Mahina nodded, sticking her bottom lip out at Solana. Tight ringlet curls bounced around her face, falling down to obscure her vision. Her sister mostly opted to stay silent, but Solana had grown to interpret the subtle signs that gave away her moods.

"Have you been looking after Mother?" Solana asked, crossing the room in a few steps to join Mahina. The small girl nodded again, glancing into the other room with round eyes. Solana chuckled softly, ruffling Mahina's hair with a hand and brushing the curls that had fallen in front of her face.

Solana passed Mahina, emerging into the adjacent room. An earthy floral scent enveloped her, and she gratefully breathed it in, letting the smell of lavender and rosemary fill her lungs. She glanced over to the window, where plastic flowerpots had been placed. The soft purple and green hues of the plants acted as a refreshing splash of colour, especially next to the monotonous grey paint on the walls.

"Muhana? Is that you?" 

Solana stepped into the room, her gaze travelling to the dining table that had previously been obscured from her vision. Her mother, Mira, was sat in one of the wooden chairs, her knitting needles suspended in the air as her head turned to the doorway, her eyes narrowed.

"No, Mother, it's Solana," she responded. Such an act was necessary: her mother had been blinded as punishment for theft a few years ago, and could only make out vague shapes and colours.

"Ah, Solana," her mother nodded, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she smiled. "Come and sit down, my dear."

Solana was happy to oblige. She turned, beckoning for Mahina to join them, before slipping into one of the seats at the table. A soft clicking started up as her mother resumed her knitting, occasionally pausing to check that her movements were correct. Mahina clambered onto the final chair at the table, drawing her knees up to her chest and staring at her stuffed bear.