chapter four

Solana stifled a wince as her back was slammed against the wall behind her. The thick material of her cloak had slipped away from her shoulders in the struggle. Her bare shoulders pressed uncomfortably against the rough texture of the bricks.

She took in a sharp intake of breath as the cloth was ripped from her face, her eyes adjusting to the weak rays of light that filtered through the thin gap between buildings. Standing in a patch of sunlight, Solana felt more exposed than she would've liked.

She seemed to be in a narrow alleyway, one that she didn't recognise. Two people stood on either side of her, their fingers curled around her wrists as they pinned her in place. Their faces were hidden by the shadows that were cast by the heavy cloaks they both wore.

"They say you're the best assassin in the city," a feminine voice murmured. They had a slight lilt to their voice and spoke with an accent that Solana couldn't place. "I'm starting to doubt that, considering how easy it was to ambush you."

Solana's gaze flicked to the shadows in front of her, where she could just about see the outline of a person. They were tall and slender, and they carried themselves with enough poise to fit in with nobility. Their face was obscured, but she stared defiantly at them anyway.

"Then why do you need two hulking grunts to hold me back?" Solana challenged with a thinly veiled sneer. "It seems to me like you're scared."

The figure stepped forward into the patch of light. The sun illuminated her face, making her soft brown skin glow. A pair of unwavering dark brown eyes met Solana's from under a hood. As she put her hands on her hips, Solana could see a blade strapped to a belt around her waist. 

"Then you'd be mistaken," she said, raising her eyebrows. "I'm just not one for taking risks, Solana."

A chill ran down Solana's spine as the woman addressed her by her name. She had always made sure to make it extremely difficult to trace her work back to her, so this woman had gone to great lengths to find her.

"How do you know my name?" Solana inquired, effortlessly pushing her rising panic away. "I assume you're going to kill me, so I'd rather you get it over with."

"Mistaken. Again," the woman smiled, a glint of amusement in her gaze as she spoke. "It's a shame. I expected better from you."

"Then who are you, and what do you want from me?" Solana said, her teeth gritted. It frustrated her to have to ask so many questions, but she was at a disadvantage. Even so, she flashed a glance at one of the people who had her arm pinned to the wall.

"Don't even think about it," the woman avoided the questions, chuckling as she caught the subtle movement. She took another step towards Solana, meaning that they were now close to each other. "We're on the same side, you and I. It would be extremely beneficial for you to trust me, so this process can be a lot smoother."

"We?" Solana frowned. "I work alone. I'm on nobody's side."

"Until now," the woman's smile widened as she leaned forward. They were so close now that Solana could feel her warm breath on her cheek, but she couldn't turn away. The faint smell of the sea hung in the air around the woman. Solana wondered if she lived near the ports in the city.  "Kaia Weaver, at your service."

Solana said nothing, her eyes narrowing. Names were a powerful tool in this game, and it was suspicious for this woman to have given hers away so readily.

"I have a task for you, Solana," Kaia said, finally stepping back. She nodded to her two companions, who obligingly released their grip on Solana's arms. She immediately drew them to her chest, rubbing her sore wrists with a scowl. "It will be the last job you'll ever have to take. If all goes well."