Chapter 4

Annalise

The king.

He's the king.

A million questions are running through my mind at the moment, but I don't have the time to address any of them as he moves around the cart toward Dimitri. All of my fear disappears as I once again pull at my chains in frustration.

"Get away from him!"

The king completely ignores me, his malicious gaze shifting to the soldier that holds Dimitri.

"What. Is. This?"

Irritation drips from his words as he repeats himself.

"A valuable slave, Your Majesty. He has a strong muscle build and stamina. We found him in a village a little further west. We think he will be a good addition to the war unit."

The king's eyes fall on Dimitri as he grasps Dimitri's face between his fingers. He shifts Dimitri's head from side to side, inspecting him like cattle, and Dimitri holds his gaze, pulling his head out of the king's grasp.

"I see. Send him to Rowan. I'm sure he could use the extra hands."

The king's eyes drift to me as they hoist Dimitri up.

"What about this one?"

"That one is going to the auctions."

My stomach drops from the guard's words. The auctions are where the worst of the worst go to purchase their unwilling slaves. No one that goes to the auctions lives past a week.

No one.

Dimitri's struggles fill the air at the revelation, desperation clear on his face as he tries to break free. His struggles pull the king's attention, his eyes narrowing in irritation. His gaze slowly drifts back to me as he slowly realizes the gravity of our situation, a vicious smile forming on his lips. The king approaches me, his fingers wrapping around the chains. With a swift movement, he pulls me from the cart. Since they chained my wrists to the center of the collar, I cannot catch myself, and I collapse in the dirt beneath him. He bends to my height, placing his finger under my chin as he forces our gazes to meet.

My heart beats faster in my chest as he studies me. His eyes are deep blue, the pupil trembles slightly, sharpening like a serpent, and he smiles.

"I'll take this one."

Dimitri's reaction is immediate.

"No!"

He lunges for the king, but the guard roughly yanks him back. My eyes widen as Dimitri's grunts turn almost animalistic as he tries to attack us. The guard quickly uses the butt of his sword to knock Dimitri unconscious, his body falling limp before us. I'm pulled away from Dimitri before I can reach for him. I hold my fingers out, tears forming as I try to pull against the chains.

"Dimitri," I whisper his name, but he doesn't stir. And the king of the beasts himself pulls me away from him without allowing me one last look. Or one last touch. Nothing. We're both pulled apart by the beasts, and I find the will to fight. I turn to the king, digging my heels into the ground.

Dimitri is my life. And without him, I have nothing. I am nothing.

"You will have to kill me before I ever willingly become a slave," I growl.

The king pauses, turning to face me. He wears an emotionless expression as he studies me, deliberating how he will end my life. He doesn't move. Doesn't blink. I can't tell if he's breathing. But he finally moves, slowly standing over me. The closer he gets, the more I am forced to crane my neck to look him in the eyes. I can't breathe as he stares into what feels like my soul.