Thirsty

When you're a vampire, you're always thirsty. Not the kind that can be solved with a quick glass of lemonade. Throat-burning, everlasting thirst was just a part of being immortal, and it was worth it. However, when you're the Queen of the vampires and have to listen all day to daylighters and traditional vampires bicker over hunting grounds and territories, while wanting nothing more than to go find a couple of humans that wouldn't be missed, that can be hard to remember. Watching the two males fighting in front of me, I wanted nothing more at that moment than to just toss both of them in the fire. However, I was Queen of the vampires, and it was my job to stop the violence, not add to it. Sometimes I wondered if it was worth it. 

The two males' venomous words reached my ears through a haze of thoughts. It was the same old argument. The traditional vampires wanted the daylighters, who were technically part-human (although they didn't act like it), expelled from our world. The daylighters claimed that they had just as much of a right as any full vampire to hunt the humans. It was a never-ending cycle that was supposed to be my job to solve.

I growled under my breath, a wordless command, and the two vampires arguing broke off mid-sentence and scampered from the room, looking frightened. That was why I liked being the Queen.

Now that I didn't have anything to distract me, my thirst took up most of my thoughts. It was hard to concentrate on anything else. Impossible, really. I let myself drift up the stairs, following the faint scent of human blood coming from up above. The stairs ended and I found myself face-to-face with what appeared to be a blank wall. Pushing the corner, I stepped out the hidden door and into an underground train station bustling with humans. It was good hunting, but not what I was looking for. I darted past the bustling crowds and up an escalator to the street above. It was night, which was necessary, as even daylighters like me were quite noticeable in the sunlight, even if we didn't burn. 

I headed across the street to a crowded-looking restaurant surrounded by excuses for potential "accidents" to happen. Slowing to a human pace, I glanced around for a likely meal. There was a group of teenagers sitting around a table in the corner. Maybe I could get one or two of them to come with me...

I wandered over to their table and sat down without them noticing. The scent of human blood assaulted me, and it was all I could do not to seize the redheaded girl next to me and sink my teeth into her throat. Carefully, I reminded myself. It would do me no good to have the humans find out what I was. 

Argh, but my throat was burning!

I heard the conversation turn to what the group of teenagers were going to do, since they had all finished dinner. 

"Let's go to the arcade!" suggested one.

"No, the rollerskating rink." another demanded.

"The bookstore will be open."

"What about the movies?"

In the middle of all the babble, I suggested one place I knew they would all agree on - one that served my purposes too.

"How about we go to that old mansion around the corner? They say it's haunted."

Everyone looked around for the speaker, but I was already on the other side of the room. They all shrugged and agreed. As the group exited, I trailed them silently, my throat burning. Little did these teens know they were about to become dinner.

When we finally got to the old, decrepit, supposedly haunted mansion, the moonlight was suddenly smothered by some fast-moving clouds. The humans stumbled around in the dark, tripping over each other and crying out. Taking a deep breath and letting the smell burn my throat, I started hunting.