Going Nowhere

Your daughter had gotten horribly sick that week. The small child had a fever that refused to break along with constant vomiting, which meant you ended up in the emergency room. The blindingly white walls and sickness of everyone who surrounded you put you on edge.

Having a sick child was incredibly stressful. You had called Spencer various times but had only managed to reach his voicemail. You cried as you laid next to your daughter, feeling hopeless as you watched the medication put her to sleep. Her small chest rose and fell as her pain finally subsided.

You still couldn't get a hold of Spencer when the two of you had arrived home. You immediately put your daughter to bed to rest her exhausted body. With a kiss on her forehead, you left her to sleep.

You were exhausted. You were tired of continually being alone. You knew Spencer's job was demanding. He had told you that when they two of you had first started dating, but it hadn't been a problem then. You would simply find something to entertain yourself with when he was gone. You joined a yoga class, went out for a stroll, visited the library, and read countless books. Spencer would return, and you would run into his arms overjoyed at seeing the man of your dreams again.

Things were different now. They were much more complicated. You had a daughter to take care of. You had always dreamed of being a mother, having a little mini version of yourself to chase after. But your dreams had always included a loving husband, someone who would be right by your side as you watched your children grow.

That seemed impossible when the man of your dreams was an FBI agent. Spencer had nearly missed the birth of his own daughter. You had phoned him as soon as you felt contractions but were unable to get through. So instead, you had reached out to Penelope, who immediately called everyone on the team. It was JJ who had picked up the phone and went on to inform Spencer that you had gone into labor. He arrived just before you began pushing, your sweet angel coming in a matter of minutes.

That was the one thing Spencer was actually around for. He had missed her first steps and her first words, which had unsurprisingly been "mama," considering you were the constant parent in her life.

It wasn't to say Spencer was a bad father. He adored her. But it always seemed like he was only around for the good days and not the bad. He was never around for the constant crying or the sicknesses, which put extra pressure on you. You were meant to be a team, and instead, it felt as though he always left you to fend for yourself.

You heard the door swing open as Spencer finally arrived home. You sat motionless on the couch, your usual feelings of joy at his arrival dimmed by the stressful day you had.

"Hey," Spencer greeted as he bent down to kiss your head. You immediately pulled away from his touch, causing him to frown. "Is something wrong?"

"You didn't answer your phone," you replied bluntly as he threw his satchel down.

"The town we were in didn't have service," he replied with a frown. "Did something happen?"

"I had to take Chelsea to the emergency room," you replied emotionlessly. "Her fever wouldn't break."

Spencer looked toward the hall, his eyes landing on his daughter's room with concern.

"Is she okay?" He asked softly.

"She is now," you replied. "We need to talk, Spencer."

Spencer studied your face as you spoke. The usual sparkle in your eyes was gone, replaced with a look of contempt. He frowned as he looked at your posture, the way you folded your arms across your chest, and the rigid way you sat.

"Don't," he begged, already knowing what was coming. He had spoken to Morgan the last time this had happened, and his friend had warned him that he needed to be more attentive. He warned him that a woman like you was capable of taking care of herself and moving on if she didn't receive the support she needed.