UNCOUNTH

CHAPTER ONE
UNCOUTH
Her presence was announced with the heavy thumps of her feet, quickly approaching the winding river. The dusty dark-brown earth littered with dry leaves fallen from the tall ancestral trees above. The pitiless African sun shone from a distance with heavy intensity, leaving cracks on the hard earth.
This season is no respecter of skin color, it hands to the fair the very same measure it does the dark. Just one look at the heels of the elderly is quite pitiable as they are cracked and locked with patches of dirt.

Ifemdi could not get her mind off the cheering and giggling that filled the village square as all had their eyes on the long awaited wrestling match, she was filled with anger having to go down to the river at such a time, no reason can ever be excusable for her.
Ejiofor was nicknamed the cat because he had no record of his opponent putting his back on the ground. He had remained undefeated for years. His powerful fists were becoming legendary pawns in the eyes of his admirers until Agbaraetiti defeated him last year, having the community break into two with wild shouts of shock and amusement.
She sighed at the relishing memory, and steadied her pace.

“Ifem, let me accompany you” Rapuluchukwu declared intercepting her as he lurched out from a nearby path.
She turned and glared surprisingly at him, his benign look nibbling at her soft spot.
“Let’s cut the chase, you are a worrywart!” She blurted while furrowing her brows. “The villagers are already spreading unproven rumors about us; I don’t want to add more ingredients to their pot of gossip”
She waved him away and continued sashaying, her hips swaying sideways, and dangling in the middle like two large watermelons strapped to the back of a moving object.
Rapulu grimaced; still worried for her safety, he kept staring attentively in her direction as her image tapered into the distant light.

They have been together from childhood. Ifem was an only child just as he was. They grew up like siblings born of the same mother but, as they got older, and abreast of their feelings, emotions started creeping in like a raging inferno, getting in the way of their innocence.
That afternoon, Ojiugo; Ifem’s mother, was preparing some delicacies in the kitchen when she realized shortly, that there wasn’t enough water left in the pot.
Ifem was in her room preparing to go join her mates at the square at the time she heard her mother’s faint call from behind the house.

“iiiifemdiliiiim!” she cooed.
Hearing that, her mind went numb. She knew something was astray. Her lively countenance fell as she dragged her feet slowly towards a diminutive hut that served as the kitchen.
“Nne m, you called?” she enquired, her hands hanging languorously to her sides.
Ojiugo brought down her steaming pot of egusi soup from the fire.
“Biko, Ada m, you have to rush to the river and get some water before night fall; I’m barely done with my cooking. O oh! Nne, Ada obodo oyibom, omalicha, egovine” She showered her praise names guised with a charming smile aiming to ebb her sadness.
Ifem growled in displeasure. She dashed into the house, grabbed a keg, and stormed away in a fuss. She knew that nothing she said would alter her having to run the errand. Thinking about it now she sighed, knowing she could have reacted better.
“Perhaps, if I had a sibling, I wouldn’t have to do all these alone” she murmured. “Why today of all days anyway, in the middle of such an auspicious gathering?” her mind churned helplessly at the thought.
Approaching the river, her eyes stung with tears blinding her from seeing where her feet trod. She had held it in long enough, now she let it roll down her smooth cheeks in quick turns.
At the bank of the river, she could hear flamingoes and sparrows chirping around the trees in melodious harmony.
The mewling cry of a hawk from a distance pierced through the vegetation suddenly, disrupting the once peaceful resonance held by the environment. She sighed softly at the sound of the water moving against the rocks as she got closer. A smile spread across her chin as she breathed in the calm, peaceful serenity. She spread her arms wide, tilted her neck towards the sky, in the brief moment, she felt freedom.
She wondered at the charm of mirroring images of leaves glistening on the surface of the water like an enchantment. The dark color of the river reminded her of a cloud without stars at night. A strong wind blew from the east, casting a spell upon the trees as they whistled in unison towards the west. Narrow bamboo stems creaked and glided, yielding helplessly to the motion of the wind. She reached her keg into the water and drew it out, filled to the brim. Gradually, she carried it out to the land.
Rapulu had stubbornly refused to retreat; rather, had followed her from a safe distance, just in case any harm tried coming her way.  He couldn’t bear the thought of letting her go alone even against her own will. Like a guardian angel, his image hovered around her protectively.
As she was about to lift her pot to her head, she heard a rustling sound nearby, and immediately grew apprehensive; she stopped and listened with rapt attention. The voice of someone singing came streaming through her ears. Phew! I thought I was the only one out in the forest by this time, she soliloquized.
The voice drew closer until it was recognizable. She started smiling knowing who this singing companion was. At that moment, Rapulu emerged from his hiding.
He grabbed her by the waist lifting her up above the ground as her feet dangled frenziedly.
He spurned her in the air for what seemed like eternity. He became dizzy, and finally let her down before they both crashed to the ground.
Ifem brushed away the hair covering her face as she struggled to steady herself whilst still holding unto him tightly.
“Rapulu, you startled me! I thought I told you not to follow me” she rolled her eyes smiling teasingly at him as though she was not pleased to see him, whereas deep down, she would give anything to find a soul in that lonely river.
Observing her face, he shoots her a mischievous glare. Ifem couldn’t hold her straight face anymore so she burst out with laughter.
“Look at you, hard girl, hard girl, you were almost crying, yet you refused to let me follow you. Thank your stars that I’m such a gentle man. I will go any length to protect my lady.” He said smirking, and massaging his chest.
“I must be so lucky” she retorted rather sarcastically.
Lifting her keg, he placed it on his left shoulder whilst she trotted behind him like a child who had gone on a long journey with the father. As they neared the almond tree close to Rapulu’s farm, he suggested that they should take some rest. Not because he was tired, but just so he could steal some of her time.
“Mba!” Mama needs this water urgently to complete her cooking. She clearly stated that before I left the house.
‘’bikonu, k’anyi nolunu so nwaoble oge,” he suggested in a pleading tone. He reassured her they would be about their way quite soon.
Admiring his wiry frame from behind, her cheeks flushed at the beauty of his smooth dry skin. Her eyes darted from his broad shoulders to the strong arms clutching tightly to her keg, and unto his chiseled abs, as she recollected the look on his angular narrow jaw housed by scarcely formed beards, giving him a handsome boyish look anytime he smiled.
'Tuts'...Her mind strayed again from that line of thoughts to the rumors propagated by village gossips concerning them. Anger welled up within her. She clenched her teeth remembering how carefully they have comported themselves over the years to avoid unnecessary hearsays, yet they will not take their disgusting noses off her territory.
Now on the spot, Rapulu settled himself down on a nearby dry wood, which he had cut and converted to a resting aid during one of the planting seasons, where he takes time off to revive before going back to farm again.
Realizing Ifem had been suspiciously silent, he inquired from her the reason for her sudden sullen state, but she immediately snapped out of it, and wore a cheerful look instantly dissuading him from asking further questions. She did not want to let him into her worries; they may not even mean that much to him. After all, culture frowns mostly at women in this kind of situation. .
She sat down on a stump in front of him reclining her back on his chest, while Rapulu cuddled her from behind. He stroked his hands around her bristled hair, guiding strands that had gone askew to an upward position.
Cool breeze blew across their faces, lifting some dried leaves temporarily above the ground before finally settling them on their bodies like a spell. The tree branches spread over their heads like shelter, with little rays of the sun penetrating through the leaves like arrows. Unlike most tress usually dried from the harmattan sun, this one was unusually green and blossoming. Rapulu had once opined that it was their love that fed it with nourishment.
Ifem stooped down, and started drawing something on the ground, while he watched her attentively. Realizing what she was drawing, he gathered pebbles around, and placed them 6 by 6 on the circles that she had drawn. It all together amounted to 12 circles and 72 pebbles. It was their favorite Alancho game.
They were still caught up in the game when suddenly the evening cock crowed. Ifem immediately sprang unto her heels, while Rapulu made haste to lift her keg. They had been so engrossed in the game that they lost track of time.
“O chim o! Rapulu look it’s already dusk, the evening shadows are long gone. Nne must be very worried.”
As they emerged out to the open path leading to the village square, the crowd had dispersed as the vicinity lay bare like a deserted land.  Ifem gestured to him to hand the keg back to her but, Rapulu feigned ignorance at her sign language as she kept increasing her pace. She reached into his waist cloth and pulled him backwards. Rapulu staggered, and they both bursted out with laughter like two rascals who were caught in an act of mischief.
Finally handing the keg to her, he bade her farewell as they turned towards the direction of their different houses.
Ifem was greeted by the glaring eyes of her mother as she bent to ease the keg from her tired arms.
“What took you so long? ….it’s dark already!”
Ifem’s mouth hung open with unsaid words. She couldn’t make out exactly what to say, so she closed them back up, and muttered apologies profusely just as her mother was about asking her another question.
That night after dinner, Ojiugo came by her room. She glanced up at her mother’s frame with renewed admiration; they were the same height, the same round face, flawlessly white dentition, and a comely figure. Their only distinct feature was that she inherited her father’s dark complexion while her mother was fair with some freckles on her left cheeks. Ojiugo was as beautiful as the twilight.
Easing her protrusions on the wooden bed, Ifem adjusted her head on her lap to accommodate her. Ojiugo gathered Ifem’s loosely packed hair to a bunch and tied them neatly together at her back.
“Remind me tomorrow to make your hair.” Ifem nodded lazily. So, tell me, what held you up at the River today? I have plied the distance to and from that river over and over again, and I know just the amount of time it would take for someone to come home either quickly or slowly but this time, it was neither of the two.

“Mama, Rapulu came by the river against my several warnings not to escort me.”

Ojiugo knew their relationship right from when they were babies. Rapulu was 2years old when she was pregnant with Ifem. Rapulu’s mum sold wares next to her stall at the market. He was always fond of giving her anything his mother gave to him. He would reserve anything he thought was nice until they came to the market before handing it to her. Remembering it now made her chuckle amusingly.
“You know you’re no longer a baby, you have to be careful with your movements. I know Rapulu is harmless, notwithstanding, your integrity matters most.
“Yes mama.” She replied agreeably still surprised at her mother. She was expecting at least a scold, but the reverse was the case.
Ojiugo sat there for a while, stroking and humming a sound until Ifem fell asleep on her lap. This had always been her way of putting her to sleep.
She laid her head back on the bed, covered her with some folded wrappers, and tiptoed back to her room.
Her husband was already fast asleep when she entered. She lay close to him as he shifted uncomfortably in his sleep letting her have some space. The wooden bed screeched with an annoying sound showing how old and weak it was becoming.

Mr. Obiora had constructed the bed with raffia palm and sticks in the early years of their marriage. Each side fastened to the wall, but the frame started to weaken as the years went by.

That night in her sleep, she saw Ifemdi walking side by side with Rapulu, holding hands and chuckling mildly at each other’s jokes. She gazed at them until they turned into sparkling light rays in the sky. She never told her dreams to anyone; however, she kept watching the two closely.
Initially, she had paid no attention to the dreams as they had been reoccurring right from when she was pregnant with Ifemdi.