War and Peace

They found Rasmus in the bunker—the same bunker they found the siblings in the first time. Empty packets of food littered the interiors and desks were upturned. In the corner, a heavy-duty carrying case with a radio in it was open and its display was on. Static hummed in the air. And in the middle of the dark, cavernous room, one thing lit the air around it like an orb of light hovering on the table. It was a phone that had a video playing on loop. At close inspection, Martin saw that it was Simone and Rasmus' father.

"I was supposed to die, you know", Rasmus called out from his room.

He was sitting on his bed, curled up, and arms around his knees with his back against a wall that was filled with doodles and his own handwriting.

"Rasmus?", Martin said as he squinted in the dimness of the bunker. Kira followed the man as they made their way through the doorway and into Rasmus' childhood room. Rasmus turned the lights on with the tablet that was lying on the bed beside him.

"I was very sick when I was a kid and I was gonna die until they gave me the virus", Rasmus said.

"Are you okay?", Kira asked. "I called after you at the bridge. Why did you come all the way back here?"

As Rasmus looked up, it was clear to see that he had been crying. "It's all my fault", he said. "I should have died back then. And now I've caused all this."

"You didn't cause any of this, Rasmus. Apollon did. If not you, they could have given it to somebody else", said Martin. He noticed the welts and black spots in the boy's skin so he asked, "Are you alright, Rasmus? What happened?"

"I don't know. These appeared after I tried to defend myself against Sarah", he gestured at the spots. "I feel the virus eating at me whenever I use it", he replied.

"And yeah, Sarah's alive", he added.

"What? How?", Martin asked.

"I kissed her after she was shot. I think some of the virus transferred to her and now she has it, too. I saw her near the Apollon base, in the town nearby. She tried to kill me. She said everything's my fault. And she's right. I killed her brother. I got away, but I'm sure she's trying to find me. I've decided I'll let her. And now, because of me, Simone's dead. I deserve this", said Rasmus.

"Simone's not dead", Kira interjected.

"What?", Rasmus looked up, his eyes wide.

"She's looking for you, Rasmus", said Martin. "That's why we're here. Your sister needs you."

"No", said Rasmus. "I've done enough. I'll only end up hurting her again."

"You can't know that, Rasmus", said Martin. He held his hand out for the boy to take. "Just come with us. We'll figure it out."

"We'll take care of Sarah", said Kira.

"I said no. And don't you dare hurt Sarah", he replied, a few black tendrils flashing against his skin.

"We just want to protect you, Rasmus", Kira said. "Fie and your sister will find a cure. I know they will."

"There IS no cure", Rasmus yelled, the tendrils now growing. "Just let me be! If there was a cure other than what's inside me, Apollon would have found it by now."

"We have to believe in your sister and Fie. Come with us, Rasmus. She's really worried about you", said Martin.

"Apollon was never bent on just finding a cure. Sten was just using you, can't you see?", Kira added.

Before he could say another word, the virus began to erupt out of Rasmus' body. An arm of black smoke started to reach towards Kira who froze in shock.