Beneath the stars

His POV (18) : 

Shawn passed the ball over to me. The color yellow spiraling right at me. I gripped it and treaded upward, above the water that tried to incase me. Bringing my hand up I lurched forward and aimed towards the opening the goalie stupidly left open. It went in, shaking the goal and acting as the catalyst for the screams behind me. 

Waterpolo came naturally to me, it was a way for me to break noses without facing repercussions. A great way to get years of trauma and stress temporarily out of my system. It was also a shit niche sport that all the Ivy boys would play. I preferred contact sports and between lacrosse and field hockey, I would take Waterpolo any day. Shawn made it bearable, a change from all the blue-eyed white boys who played the sport for a resume boost at Westlake. We have been CIF champions for the last 13 years. 

I was thrusted back to reality when Shawn ruffled my hair and pushed me underwater. The team huddled around me, while those on the bench jumped in the water to joing the celebration. I stayed indifferent, a neutral look overcoming face. On the inside I wanted nothing more to get out of the pool and smash number nines face into the concrete. He had been pulling on my shoulder the whole game and with the threat of a red card after my punch towards him I had made up my mind. 

I ducked my head under and swam through the effervescent water.  Pulling myself out of the water once I reached the concrete barrier. The swim girls approached me with water and a kind bar. Asking me a multitude of questions, I had no intention of ever answering. Shaking my head I disregarded them and made a beeline towards the other team's canape. I was once again stopped by a hand on my arm. I knew whos it was, and he knew what I was planning to do.

"No, come on man. You can't do this at every game and there are too many people around. Don't start a fucking scene. Andrew's parents are here, they'll use every resource they can to get you kicked out of the team so their son can be captain. Don't give them anything to work with." 

I shook his hand off of mine and looked back at him. "Mhm, another reason for me to do it." He rolled his eyes pulling me forward with him. I'd retaliate but I knew I would see number nine and his other speedo friends next week. I also wasn't in the mood for Coach L's lectures. 

" Anastasia has a piano performance tonight at the observatory. I'm planning to drink. You got me covered with a ride?" Shawn asked while proceeding to pull me through the sea of people. 

I tense but attempt to keep my shoulders leveled. Ensuring that he can't tell how much just her name affects me. 

"The Griffith?" I replied monotonously

He had a shit-eating grin on his  face 

"Christine will be there. I need a good lay after this weekend. Can you take Anna home for me after." He pleaded 

We stopped in front of the locker room, and I stared at him intently. Shawn's eyes roam nervously around the length of the room. " I don't want her to feel like I'm leaving her there. Dad won't be able to make it. She worked so hard, I need to go there and support her. But I also need a fucking break from all of this shit." 

I clenched my teeth, "Really sounds like support. Going to your little sister's recital for Christina Barrington." rolling my eyes, I got dressed. Having no intention to continue the conversation 

"Fuck off. If I don't go no one will. I can't do her like that" 

 My heart slightly constricted at the familiar feeling of abandonment, and negligence. 

I nodded and slammed my locker shut. "I'll be there." 

I approach my coach shaking his hand and getting on my way. I grab my keys from my pocket, sliding into the black audi I got for my recent birthday. I was tempted to smash it when I saw the car parked on my driveaway accompanied by the keys on my counter. But I knew that would do no good, other than insinuating to my parents that I care. 

Pulling into the driveway, I could already hear the screaming from inside of my car. Not bothering going inside, I pulled out. 

My eyes fluttered shut in frustration. Opening them back up I stared at the formula taunting me from across the room. Splayed on the chalkboard was an equation, one that I couldn't even begin to understand. My Hagoromo Fulltouch chalk laying in my hand.  The Japanese chalk promises results. Like strips of silk. I'd sprawl hieroglyphics on the board, one after another. They'd always come out as clean and neat as the last. Making up theorems that represented existence in itself. Governing entire cosmos. It was told that it was impossible to write a false theorem with it. I had 15 years' worth of it stocked up in my closet, from my trip to Japan with Shawn last year. 

Slamming my fist on the top of the table, I felt it shake under me. It was 15 minutes till seven, I knew I had to be at the observatory at 8. But I couldn't leave without understanding it. Pushing off of it, I dropped the prized Japanese possession and grabbed my jacket. 

I arrived at the Griffitory with 4 minutes to spare. Shawn was waving me over as soon as my foot entered the grand space. A stage was set up in the planetarium. The rings of Saturn and the moons of jupiter surrounding us. I nodded back, acknowledging his mousy blonde friend beside him.

 "This is Christina" he introduced 

I gave her a charming smile "Shawn has touched base with me about how wonderful you play. It's a pleasure." 

She flushed "Thank you. You should be excited for Anna, she has been working really hard. She's really good." 

I nodded. Shawn adored Anastasia, and I'm sure the girl would say anything to please him. 

The lights dimmed and we all sat. A few physicists came to make a speech. Thanking the donors for the event. 

"I'm thrilled for you all to see the performances we have today. In my 24 years of being here, this is by far my favorite. Just don't tell my other students." 

He was personable and had kind eyes. Couldn't have been older than the age of 50. "Our first performance is by Anastasia Butskova. She is eleven and will be playing Nocturne in F Major, Op.15, No.1. 

The lights dimmed further, shining a bright circle in the middle of the stage. Reminding me of the moon. 

The curtains opened, and revealed the little girl. Brown eyes wide and staring out at the sea of people watching her. It seemed as though she wasn't expecting such a crowd. Her eyes searched through it, locking contact with my own. I raised a brow, they immediately snapped to connect with Shawn's. He gave her a smile and nodded his head as if giving her premission to perform. I tilted my head in confusion but couldn't think much of it as my ears were drowned out by a sot melody. The room allowing the polished notes to close in. 

Pressing the ivory keys on the grand baby piano. Sat a girl with honey golden hair, and pale flushed cheeks. Her eyes fluttered shut allowing the music to guide her. She was remarkable. Ribbon laced methodically in her hair, her feet adorned with small pink ballet flats. Soft fabric laying across her shoulder, a white lace dress. 

I watched as she played beneath the stars. As the universe fell in love with her. I bathed in her light, she shined brighter than Sirius. They would grab her hand and run away. Not just the boys. Run away beneath the stars. They needed to know what I once too wanted to. Would her existence take them above the stars?