Contemplations

Wisdom is the principle thing;

therefore get wisdom:

and with all thy getting get understanding.

-Proverbs 4:7

Stoneridge

The spring afternoon continued to promise pleasant weather. Two figures stood in the open lane not far from the doctor's gate. The middle aged man held the reins of his gray horse while the other, a woman, held the sash of her sewing basket.

"Nancy, you must be vacationing today; pray, where have you been?" Jim probed his sweetheart.

The apothecary fixed two deep brown eyes on Nancy. He reached for her basket and held it for her as they conversed.

"I am sorry, Jim. I am not meaning to slight you nor your stories. I just have a pressing uneasiness about that little Miss I have charge of. I don't even know her given name, mind you, though I am so good at earnin' the confidences of them I serve. She's a young thing to bear these cares alone," Nancy confided.

"Perhaps she has another to whom she unburdens herself. You must see how the doctor watches her every movement when they are in company, though he makes no address. I imagine a lass of her situation would be quick to accept the protection of a respectable man. She canno' be too picky now, and I would not be surprised if she is too modest to speak of it to you," Jim returned frankly.

"No. No. Not that one. There is some love on his side, I'll agree. But this affair with Durham has turned her heart to ice. I believe she aims to die an old maid. In fact, I would not be surprised a bit if she advertises herself as a governess before long to be rid of the obligation she feels to the doctor. My, how she abuses that man!" Nancy disagreed.

As she spoke, Nancy's eye moistened, then she continued, "I am too hard. She is not truly ungrateful. It is that fact which makes his wound harder to bear. She avoids him, and averts her eyes when they are at dinner. Yet, I know she sees the debt she owes him. He has cared for her every want and beyond! What comfort she has been given! I know she must feel it; yet, perhaps her pride resents it all the more."

Jim's interested smile encouraged Nancy's confidence as she unburdened her mind.

Nancy's shoulders relaxed as she disclosed her thoughts, "It's a tragic sight. I see him watch her leave the room with such sad longing, while she never seems concerned if he is two days late from some countryside exploit. A short while back, he was quarantined with a family who had a severe small pox case, and she did not ask once where he was the entire week! No, she has not confided in him, I am sure. If I only knew how to go about getting the truth about her people and family without scaring her off! There is so much more to it all than meets the eye; of that, I am sure!"

Jim's thoughtful face turned upward as he contemplated the problem. He was accustomed to dealing with many people and their dilemmas as his line of work threw him into many strange situations.

Finally, he replied, "I believe the parson ought to know something of her family. Did she mention the county? It cannot be far. I suggest you ask him. If she did not mean to actually tell him, still he may know more than he thinks. I once knew a lady who lost her inheritance after her husband died. He left a great sum of gold and silver, but she didn't know where he hid it. She mourned the loss of her husband and nearly died of starvation before she realized he had told her where it was. She just didn't know she knew."

"It's just the thing I'll do," Nancy vowed, "and it'll not be idle gossiping, for the magistrate has a hand in this affair already! I'd hate to see that rascal Durham get away with raping the countryside and oppressing the renters forever."

Nancy's eyes glinted with silent indignation. Her face had the lines of and older woman, but a courageous beauty shone from her face which Jim could not resist.

He squeezed her hand, and declared in a matter of fact tone, "In just a couple of months I will have those extra chambers finished. I can see now why you worry so about the lass, since you will be quitting the doctor to take care of me!"

Nancy was not slow in her rebuttal, "My time's up, love, and I'm not a woman of leisure yet! I best say my farewells and get back to work!"

Jim's playful eyes twinkled and he handed Nancy's sewing basket back. With a quick peck on the cheek and a smile he swung up into his saddle and rode away.

Nancy's thoughtful expression lingered as she watched the horse ride away. It remained long after the figure faded from sight. Her lips pursed together as her eyebrows knit. Her straight spry body turned and strode purposefully back across the large lawn to Stoneridge.

"It's time to write a letter," she spoke to herself, "and I believe I know just what to say."

_____________________________

Thankfully, it seems in every story there is one, or perhaps even two people, who have enough insight to reflect on the events around them. Regardless of social status, a correct estimation of character and circumstances is invaluable. In addition to knowing, there is acting, which is even rarer. How many lives and epic events have hinged upon just these sorts of people?