Faith

The morning passed with little event, the three of them leaving quietly after stretching and collecting their things. The hall was cold and uncomfortable compared to the huddle of blankets beside the radiator. A man with a persistent cough explained the rules in a drawling monotone, before there was a loud series of beeps, and then two names.

"Uzumaki Naruto," he said, "versus Hyuuga Neji."

Naruto blinked. "Eh? Who?"

Kakashi frowned beneath his mask. 'Hyuuga Neji... one of Gai's students. Top graduating rookie of last year. Naruto may struggle.'

"Hyuuga," Satsuki muttered to herself.

"Heheh!" Naruto grinned. "This should be no problem!"

"A word of advice," Kakashi said. "The Hyuuga rely on close combat, so don't get caught too close."

Naruto's expression faltered for a moment. "Yeah, yeah, whatever, Kakashi-sensei."

'Naruto's going to regret this...'

"If you lose here, you're never going to be on my level," Satsuki said, eyeing Naruto cockily out of the corner of her eye.

"Hmph-! Just you wait, okay?! I'm gonna beat your ass one day!"

"But not now," Kakashi added, putting an encouraging hand on the boy's shoulder.

"Good luck, Naruto," Sakura said.

Naruto smiled, a blush on his cheeks. "Sakura-chan!"

He turned to the crowd, holding onto the railing and leaning over to look for whoever was heading down before spotting a boy with long hair and eyes milky white. "Eh- is that him?"

Satsuki frowned. "Those eyes..."

"Almost as scary as yours, Satsuki," Naruto said. Satsuki flicked him in the side of the head.

"Just shut up and get down there before you get disqualified."

"Yeah, yeah," Naruto muttered, halting himself over the railing and landing with a thud on his feet. The boy was in the centre of the arena, weight on one leg with his arms folded.

Satsuki scowled. 'He's not taking it seriously at all... but this guy looks seriously out of his league. Especially with a bloodline. Naruto's going to have to be careful-'

"Oi! White eyes! What're you standing around for?! Get on with it!"

'-never mind.'

The boy snorted. "The proctor hasn't initiated the match yet," he said. "Well, they do say the empty can rattles the most."

Naruto blinked. "Wait, what?"

Neji opened his eyes and smirked. "What I mean is, losers like you who talk big are the ones who have the least to offer. In other words, you're a weakling." He finally moved his arms and legs from that pose, shifting them into a strange one with palms facing forward. "I'll be done with you in a matter of seconds."

Naruto stared for a moment, jaw gaping, and his expression switching from pure indignation to unbridled anger. His fists clenched, and he snapped his gaze to the proctor.

"Get on with the announcing!" Naruto said, cracking his knuckles. "I've gotta teach this prick a lesson!"

The proctor looked at them. "Ehem. Yes..."

Naruto pushed back his shoulders and put a leg forward.

"Begin."

He launched himself forward, dust gusting past his feet.